Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Happy Or Sad?

Melba

Today my baby is 18!

Quite exciting but also a bit sad becasue that little girl who was so happy, helpful, trusting and beautiful may come home today as a happy, helpful, trusting and beautiful adult.... with a tatoo!!

(Unless nobody mentions to her that she doesn't need my permission anymore, finger crossed!)

Hope your DD has a wonderful day to remember, and if she has been off to the tattoo parlour, that it is something small and tasteful!

No. 2 son has 2 tragic ones - chinese symbols down the side of one leg (result of a drunken 18 year olds summer holiday with his mates), it's not very big at all I suppose, and now that he is quite a hairy individual I can almost pretend that that one isn't there. The other, no such excuse as being drunk this time he had done with his long time girlfriend on another summer holiday at the top of his arm - so at least it doesn't show when he has short sleeves on - his birthdate in roman numerals!!!

I'd say be happy but cautious. The things you worried about when they were little ain't nothing to things you will have to consider now she's 18. At least when they're younger you pretty much know where they are. The times I've got up in the morning and found their beds unslept in :o

Enjoy it though, both of you, its just another phase xD:(

It's a funny thing because I have no real objections to tatoos on anybody except my own children.

Then it feel a bit too much like damaging something we all put a lot of work into!

Also she would get Jack Skellington (loves Tim Burton) and I'm not sure that would be something she would pleased about in 20 years!

Edited by Melba

oww bless feel for you - i wouldnt be happy but their body my daughter turned 17 last week asked for her upper ear to be pierced (obviously thought i would say yes as gave in on her 16th to have her tummy button done - gave in to pressure then - but have said wait till your 18 for ear - shes not happy xD ) :o

i have a 17 year old who has been wheedling and whining for a tattoo for at least a year. He has been told to wait until he is 18 several times, the result - door slamming, tantrums, storming out and throwing things. What does this remind me of? oh yes a day with preschoolers!

i have a 17 year old who has been wheedling and whining for a tattoo for at least a year. He has been told to wait until he is 18 several times, the result - door slamming, tantrums, storming out and throwing things. What does this remind me of? oh yes a day with preschoolers!

lol always reminds me of when my son at 3 was having a tantrum in the supermarket - i was in despir and felt a hand around my shoulder - little old lady hugged me and said 'lovey it only get worse the older they get' - ohhhh so true!!!!!!! :o

My daughter turned 18 in October and I was expecting the same but so far its not happened. I dare not ask incase it pushes her to do it. She did however to into town and get 7 body piercings in one sitting with her first months wage when she started her part time job at 16! To be honest I'm now finding a tattoo maybe preferable to an ear plug!

In defence of piercings, at least they are removable when sense resumes, however, do not take comfort in my words as they are written by someone with 6 piercings of her own and who at nearly 50 still hasn't seen sense. As for it getting worse as they get older I'm not sure that it does, I love having a house full of vibrant, noisy, full of life teenagers and they have have taught me so much about taking each day as it comes and living for the moment, something I sometimes forget in my day to day life.

Edited by max321

My 16 year old asked me a few weeks ago if he could have a tattoo. I told him that only disreputable places will do a tattoo for a 16 year old and that there will be a higher chance of getting infected etc so I'd rather he wait until he's 18. He seemed to be going along with my reasoning quite well but just to make sure I added that I was thinking of getting one myself and maybe we could go together when the time comes. I think that's put him off completely :o