Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recent Inspection

bubblejack

Just recently been inspected ( good in all areas) but am feeling really annoyed.

First of all inspector could only access my SEF beforehand in a format that was not able to be read. I phoned Ofsted and was told that it was the inspectors problem not mine. Luckily I had updated it on my pre-school laptop but inspector didn't look at it till end of inspection.

I was told by her that she was stuggling to find an action but I have to have something to work on for improvement.

The action is that I have to involve parents and children in the SEF. Not sure what to do though.

Children are involved in the planning, can choose what to play with, all resources now on trolleys, with self made pictures of all resources on cards for younger children.Children are allowed to play outside for most of the day.We evaluate each day on the continuous provision and on weekly focus activity. Have a review chat at end end of each session. I made comments on the SEF about what children enjoy doing and the fact that they like playing outside and what we have done to improve outdoor facilities. Parents fill in a questionnaire regularly. I display a policy fortnightly and invite comments. Just wondering how to do an action plan. HELP!!!!!!! any ideas

• Like 1

I was told by her that she was stuggling to find an action but I have to have something to work on for improvement.

I find that quite shocking. :o

Although thinking about it, my dad would never give 10/10 for me cleaning the cr or doing a job for him because he said it would stop me trying.

But then again its different when you're 10 and its your dad. I dont think it sounds very professional coming from an Ofsted inspector.

Your question about involving the children and parents I cant help with though, having never seen one in any depth. xD

[quote name='bubblejack' date='Nov 25 2011, 18:18' post='308694'

My Inspector told me the same, back in March, even though I got Outstanding in all areas - for the 2nd time xD

Eventually, she came up with the idea of a photo album displaying resources, toys etc for the children to choose from.... even though they're on open shelves, in boxes with laminated photos stuck on the outside :o hey, ho!!

I'm stumped as to how else your parents could get involved. I do questionnaires to parents and children, have an ideas and suggestions book and also ask them to complete the annual Childminding Network questionnaire but I don't think that'd help you :(

Nona

Hi,

i recently did some self evaluation training and one of the ideas to get children's views was to use a post it note game- on the toys the cildren were asked to stick post its onto their favourite toys, this is a different approach but it does give even younger children with small vocab a voice.

Also with parents could you put a feedback sheet in the children's learning journeys? and a parents voice section? this enables them to make comments about their the observations and note what they liked about all the practioners hard work.

They may help

Petunia

We had exactly the same recommendation!!

..............and the inspector hadn't read our SEF before coming either (I think maybe she just didn't bother though - rather than having a problem with it)

Actually some of her 'suggestions' were just plain stupid - so I've just ignored them!

xxxx

Just edited to say - she also included" use the views of 'others' in the SEF" - this was as well as parents and children!!

Edited by louby loo

I too had that problem. She was struggling for an area for improvement. We got outstanding but i feel that no where is perfect and we are always striving to move on and up

anyway i hold regular informal parent meetings over coffee and we discuss what ever crops up and then the parents have the chance to go in and play for the morning but i do not minute this because i like it informal. But this was an area to improve on by minuting this meetings.............ok fine but when i got the report in it was something completely different and i too dont really understand what it is because she didnt explain where she was coming as it was not what she originally said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest youngrisers

Always an issue with OFSTED inspectors. if only some of us worked in the field things may be different. I have found over mnay years that inspectors say one thing and write another. It seems whether you have improved, are good to outstanding that finding a key issue to work on is a difficulty that all OFSTED inspectors struggle with. I have suggested to to them many options in the past from partnership with parents and inclusion to report writing and developing practice for children with AEN and AEL. neither I hasten to add were picked up on as key issues in the setting but planning an action plan or improvment plan is part and parcel of good practice so I tend to with staff members, to focus on any area we feel is weak! will be interesting to see how OFSTED carry out the new inspections under the new EYFS when we finally obtain it from the government. Watch this space!!!!!

Edited by youngrisers

Guest youngrisers

whoops just realised there are several spelling typos in my last statement sorry folks typing in a hurry.....

Edited by youngrisers

Our action was "improve the use of the self-evaluation form"

In the write up beforehand it said " the system for self-evaluation is is through and reflective and the team strive to ensure they are making continual improvements"

Erm forgive me but the write up seems to contradict the the action!!

We got a mixture of goods and outstandings, but wish inspectors would give more feedback/information on areas for improvement

It amazes me that she can say, 'I struggle to find areas for improvement' and then goes and gives you a good. Surely if there's nothing to improve on then you are outstanding?! This just goes to show how bizarre these Ofsted inspections can be sometimes.

Thumperrabbit mine is the same as yours "include parents views in the sef" but the report says that I do involve the parents. Are you in Essex by any chance?

Kariana I asked how good I have to be to get outstanding and she said ooooo you need more paperwork???? I really feel like complaining BUT i don't want the agro of another inspection so I suppose I will have to move on. Its not that I think I am perfect but I just don't know what to do to improve.Thankyou for your suggestions petuniak6 I have changed the evaluation sheet when parents look at folders.I also now don't let parents out of the door untill they have filled sheet in Today I gave post-it notes for the little ones to stick on favourite things, they thought that was great fun, all are resources are on mobile trolleys with pictures on the front.THe children are allowed to access anything anyway.

Was this a usefull inspection NO

Will it improve my setting NO

Is it making me cross YES

Even if you are outstanding there are always areas to enhance

no one setting is perfect and besides all that then children change and your setting has to meet those challenges

• 10 months later...

Hi Bubblejack

Can't believe she said you had no areas for improvement and then gives you a "good". Could you not have challenged this? Mind you its easier said than done, sometimes you just want to get it over and done with and then wave them bye bye. I had an inspector who told me last time that my planning was over and above what we needed to be doing and that she found no faults at all, but still only got a good in that area. With hindsight should have challenged her on why that area was never given outstanding.

I couldn't be bothered either parklands. I just use Ofsted as a guideline. As long as all my children and parents are happy I am happy. Most of my children reach a high level in all areas and I am very proud of that and I have a very long waiting list. The children that underachieve are the children that have irregular attendance patterns but thats another story

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)