Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Up And Packing Away Time

Hi!

I am a Teaching assistant in a maintained nursery, which currently does 1 session a day. I am currently paid half hour before the session and half hour after for setting up and packing away. We are going to be doing 2 sessions a day again soon and there seems to be an issue over this time. I expected half hour before the morning and half hour at the end of the day, and had optimistically hoped for maybe 10 minutes in the middle to prepare for the next session!! The previous full time TA had 1.5 hours a day outside the sessions, which I admit seems a lot!!! :o

What sort of amounts of time do other settings pay for this? I already work about half an hour a day over what I'm paid to fit it all in, so what I'm asking for seems reasonable!! xD

Madmum

Hi, my setting is a private pre-school and I get in early plus one other is paid for 15 mins at start and 2 are paid for 15 mins at the end of the day. We are open all day (school day) so other setting up/clearing away just goes on while the children are in and as part of working hours. Staff have staggered (unpaid) lunch breaks, mostly only when they work over 6 hours.

Edited by anju

Are you saying that they want to cut down on this time, or that you won't get any 'extra' time in the middle? Is it just you doing that work or are there others as well?

In January there will just be me and a teacher. We do split the setting up and packing away between us, but it seems like they hadn't thought about me being paid when the children aren't there in that they had looked at the hours on my contract now and the number of hours the children will be in in January to work out how many more I will be doing and got to a total of 30 hours. With 2 x 3 hour sessions a dya that doesn't allow any for setting up, packing away or prep for the 2nd session.

Hope that makes sense!!

In January there will just be me and a teacher. We do split the setting up and packing away between us, but it seems like they hadn't thought about me being paid when the children aren't there in that they had looked at the hours on my contract now and the number of hours the children will be in in January to work out how many more I will be doing and got to a total of 30 hours. With 2 x 3 hour sessions a dya that doesn't allow any for setting up, packing away or prep for the 2nd session.

Hope that makes sense!!

Hi when you say setting up and packing away does that include all furniture, carpets, dividers etc? We are a committee run nursery in a large village hall and 2 of us arrive at 7.50am, do a risk assessment then bring everything in that we need, for basic provision in zoned areas, up 3 steps from 3 sheds and from 1 shed up a ramp. We have been told that in January we will only be paid for 45 minutes setting up then after Easter for only 30 minutes based on us making the sheds more accessible and 'child friendly'. This is obviously due to lower numbers and running at a loss at this time of the year, any adive would be welcome.

Hi when you say setting up and packing away does that include all furniture, carpets, dividers etc? We are a committee run nursery in a large village hall and 2 of us arrive at 7.50am, do a risk assessment then bring everything in that we need, for basic provision in zoned areas, up 3 steps from 3 sheds and from 1 shed up a ramp. We have been told that in January we will only be paid for 45 minutes setting up then after Easter for only 30 minutes based on us making the sheds more accessible and 'child friendly'. This is obviously due to lower numbers and running at a loss at this time of the year, any adive would be welcome.

Hi where I am staff come in at 8.15 to set up , same as you it is a village hall, unfortunately the configuration of storage is all over the building and this is what takes the time although in the 2 weeks I have been there we are managing to get down the time , once the cupboards are fully reorganised we should only need half hour max and only 3 staff to do so , we currently have low numbers and really need to make some savings and those staff with kids are more than happy to get extra time in the mornings so come in later , it's very much swings and roundabouts but personally i would rather go in later because although it is a 2 minute walk i start 3/4 hour earlier than my previous job where i started at 9 for 9.15 start and spent 20 mins or more to get there depending on traffic.

Hi!

We are in a purpose built nursery attached to a primary school, with 2 staff in the new year!

We have resolved the issue, with me being offered 30 min set up, 30 min pack away and 15 min for changeover at lunchtime. Means I will only get 30 mins lunch but I can live with that! Hope fully we will be able to fit in some of the assessment and key person stuff that there aren't enough hours in a day for with 2 staff!

Madmum

ps I am fully aware this is a very generous paid time allocation!! :o

Hi

I am a nursery teacher in a primary school and unfortunately no extra time is given to us to prepare it is seen as 'goodwill'. I am always first in and last out, I get in to school at 7.30 and leave at 5 when the care taker kicks me out and yet this still doesnt seem enough time. In this time i prepare and document paper work etc. I have been doing this for months and only now has the head teacher noticed the hours i put in. They have insisted on giving me extra time out of class for paper work etc but I am stil waiting to see this. We do get the children in the morning to help set up for the afternoon session as we only have a short dinner and therefore value every second of it. The children in the afternoon help to prepare for the next day and tidy away resources.

hope this helps

kate :o