Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help

beth1

Please help me. I have 2 interviews coming up (plus a 2000 word essay to do by next friday) next week. Both schools have asked me to read a story.

Interview 1 (Monday) - tell an interactive story to a small group of reception children for 15 minutes. Ablitly group not known. (EYFS TA level 3 job)

Interview 2 (Thursday) - tell a story for 10 minutes that motivates and engages 4 mixed ablity year 2 children, 1 with EAL. (TA job level not known)

I am not sure what book(s) to use, the books that I have at home are; owl babies (with 4 different sized owls), the guffalo, a squash and a sqeeze and the smallest bear story sack but aimed at year 2. I am sure I had going on a bear hunt at home but obviously not.

For the first inteview I have had lots of suggestions, most people I have asked so far think the best choices are: going on a bear hunt or goldilocks and the three bears or 3 billy goats gruff. Espeically for an interactive story, nearly all said bear hunt as first choice. I am not sure what to do, bear hunt I know the words without the book infront of me.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Beth

Have you got some props Beth to make your story more visual.

Your key here is interactive for both groups so they need to be involved.

You need something quite pacey for year2. They will probably be familar with those stories so can you think of something more unusual, a different version of a well known story perhaps or someway of building up the story with them rather than just listening?

Good luck.

Thanks Susan,

I have decided for the first group to go with 3 little pigs story for Monday's story. I had a train of thought this morning, I was thinking that the books suggested may already be carried out.

Not yet decided Thursday's interview book.

Well had my first inteview, the story didn't seem to go down well. The children looked a little bored to be 'shoved' in with a stranger. And now it seems that thursday's interview may not happen since on closer inspection it is in the morning, which I cannot get time off for being with a child in another school.

Maz I have not yet even got the results of the interview. I asked when it would be likely to get the results, they was not sure. Could be this afternoon before I find out. I was also asked why I had been studying for a degree. So I am wondering if having a degree is putting the schools I am applying for off.

update:

School 1 rang up but I missed the call due to being at work/in a different school. They left me a voicemail that they would ring later, well as of yet they have not.

School 2 I will not be able to attend the interview so they may ring up on thursday evening if theres any chance of an interview later on.

Oh well just keep going, better finish my degree first before looking for more jobs.

Hope the feedback is ok Beth and you can rearrange the Thursday interview. My favourite story for a group of unknown children would be The hungry caterillar, props are pretty easy to gather and if its a small group theres plenty to share out.

:o

I didn't get the job. I gave a strong application and strong interview but the field was strong, as per usual. They also said that I needed more foundation stage experience or go for a year 1 job. Swings and roundabouts spring to mind. They wished me luck with the results of my degree and hope my teaching career goes well.