Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Worried!

:o I have been asked to read a story to a class of ten year olds in book week next week. I'm used to reading to three and four year olds! Can anyone help by suggesting a book or anything to make it a bit more exciting. Reeaally worried :(xD

My youngest (12 now)really enjoyed the Deepwoods trilogy, but I havent read them myself. He really liked Goodnight Mr Tom, kind of liked Cider with Rosie and loved the Hobbit, when I read them to him. :D

Hi Brenda -

Here's a review of Feather Boy from a really excellent site called reading matters (www.readingmatters.co.uk ). It's a site specifically for recommending children's books, and the reviews and comments are largely written by the children themselves (and are all the better for it!).

Deepwoods, as Rea mentions above, is also very good, and Mortal Engines, by Philip Reeve, is truly brilliant.

Good luck with it - let yourself go and enjoy acting the dialogue (have a quick read through the bit you intend to read in advance). It can be great fun if you manage to lose your inhibitions. :D

My 10 year old loves the Anthony Horowitz series of books about Alex Rider who is a 14 year old James Bond sort of a spy.

The series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snickett might work.

I remember being read The Hobbit when I was at primary school, with the recent fascination in Lord of the Rings this might be well received

Sue

The trilogy by Phillip Reeves is fantastic (don' t want to spoil ending but I wanted to weep at the end!!!!)

Lisa

The Bartimaeus Trilgy (Jonathan Stoud) is very good, as is the Spook's Apprentice- Joseph Delaney (When the Spook arrived... he's a seventh son), Wolf Brother- Michelle Paver, Inkheart (can't remeber the name of the female author, or what about poetry (I fell in love with The Highwayman.

Is it a sotry that you will be reading in instalments or is it a one of activity (our Nursery teacher read to Year 3 each week). Just wondered, as might affect what you want to choose- will you leave them hanging unless you choose something from scholl will they have the oppportunity to get to the end of a fantastic book.

Hope this is useful, have to say I love buying/ sharing choices and reading books with my 9 year old as well as the opportunity to 'borrow' my 5 year ols books!

I' m currently reading The Dream Merchant (Isabel Hoving- great start so far!)

Lisa

Sorry lost track and focused on reading. What about using a Phillip Pullman short story as a beginning for a reteeling of a traditional story (I was a rat?). Phillip Pullman has written a number of short stories which could be uded as a starting point, Spring Heeled Jack uses cartoons, Count Karlstein offers an opportunity to explore sppoky stories based around mysterious fabled happenings. Also love The Scarecrow and the boy- classic buddy journey story!

Lisa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)