Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open On Inset Days/strike Days

Hi was just reading another thread on funding and it mentioned inset days.

Do you as pre-schools term time only not open on inset days?

We are based in a secondaryschool who have differnt inset days when compared to the local infant school and junior school. Theinfant and junior normally have the same inset days and they work tog on this.

The pre-school I work at open on all inset days (chair is very firm on this)..bit of a nightmare for some of the staff with chldren at the schools to get childcare. Does the setting get funding for this ie through the funded children still?

If you close inset dyas do your staff still go in for training or.....? Or do they stay at home and not get paid?

Im ok in that i live in the next village along so my sons inset days are different and i am able to put him in school club when it is. When i used to work at my local pre-school we closed on inset days.

Also wondered if any of you had plans for the possible strike day 30 Nov?

Would be interested to hear what others do.

Edited by marley

We are based on a primary school site & close on their inset days. You don't get funding for the 5 inset days which is why I stopped opening - it's 38 weeks pa funding and the inset are on top of this. My staff get the day off but if they need time for own children's inset where they are in different schools to ours, they have to make up that time. I don't charge parents for any private fees (younger children or extra hours) when we are closed for inset.

We will be open on the strike day and charge as normal - I do support the public sector workers though.

Schools are open 190 days for the children and that is the statutory number of days pupils have to be in school. INSET days are an extra five days which are statutory staff training. Some schools spread some of this as twilights (3 late sessions) or do it on a Saturday. Presumably if it was twilights or a Saturday you wouldn't open. If you are only funded as a term time setting then I assume that you are funded for 190 days, so either your staff also train on the extra 5 days and get paid for them from your funds, or you close. I would be checking up on how many days I am funded for and if it is 190 I think I would have a chat with the Chair.

Hi

Thanks for that.

So all those children that receive the NEG with us will be actually getting free inset days whilst those that dont and pay on the inset days?

Hmmm......with the fact that costs are increasing, we have no money etc you would have thought the administrator who does our collection of fees sorts out the paperwork for the NEG may have realised?

I dont charge children when we are closed for inset.

school are actually open for one week longer than playgroup.

we close for school inset which works out the extra week they are open.

we are open for 38weeks and then also have 5 days as inset.

we have these different to school so staff dont have to worry about chid care.

buttercup

This year because of the royal wedding and various other things that have occurred, we have to open on inset days even when our connecting school is closed, in order to meet our required days to be open to get funding. We were told by our LEA that they would take away all funding if we did not open which seemed a little harsh. The only time we are allowed is when it is beyond our control, so if school dictated we HAD to be closed due to Health and safety for example (on general election voting day, they deemed too many cars and people coming and going into the school grounds meant we could not open). Our year runs from April to April and school September to September so we have a constant battle of dates clashing.

If the caretaker is on strike on strike day we will have to close, otherwise we will have to open.

• 2 weeks later...
we receive funding for 38 weeks x 5 days = 190 days, when we work out our term dates we make sure we are only open for those 190 days -and do not open any more than that

When do you calcualte your year as starting from. School year ?

smiles

Okay i'm not sure what area you are in but we recently had to close at quite short notice to parent/carers due to a local emergency election[ hall is used for polling].

I rang our local authority and was told because we would have to close due to this and it was out of our control we would still be funded for the day even though the children were unable to attend.

Might be worth a call to them to clarify your position. :o