Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Interview

Hi guys I am hoping you lovely people will be able to calm me down. I had a phone call last night to tell me I have an interview on tuesday for a nursery teaching job. However it is not like any other interview I have been through. I have to complete a 20 min interactive messy play activity with a small group with a kuw or cll focus. I will be assessed on ofsted criteria and will need to be judged as good or outstanding to progress to interview in the afternoon.

Has anyone got any ideas or advice to really help me shine??????

I have a further interview on wed for a reception post I have to do a speaking and listening activity based on a story in a small group.

I always seem to get to interview then panic on the day!!!!!!

Guest terrydoo73

So I am thinking messy play - playdough? perhaps gloop? or painting? I mean there are a whole list of possibilities with each one. Playdough you could actually make the dough with the children and there are so many possibilities with talking about the mixture, how it changes colour and what it feels like to touch. Then there is the actual handling and talking about what is being made.

Speaking and listening will be easy in the sense of choosing something that is relevant to either the children or an event in the recent past or future. We used owl babies at the beginning of September and it was brilliant as it brought up loads on what mummies do for us at home, how mummies will come back at the end of Playgroup and the feelings described were priceless.

Just think through what you what to achieve with the activities and hopefully it will go in the right direction!

Hi guys I am hoping you lovely people will be able to calm me down. I had a phone call last night to tell me I have an interview on tuesday for a nursery teaching job. However it is not like any other interview I have been through. I have to complete a 20 min interactive messy play activity with a small group with a kuw or cll focus. I will be assessed on ofsted criteria and will need to be judged as good or outstanding to progress to interview in the afternoon.

Has anyone got any ideas or advice to really help me shine??????

I have a further interview on wed for a reception post I have to do a speaking and listening activity based on a story in a small group.

I always seem to get to interview then panic on the day!!!!!!

Hi, well done!

Why not use Little Red Hen story for both interviews.

Nursery interview:

CLL / KUW link Read story to children - use a very simple, short version - briefly talk about how animals were mean etc and how 'we' wouldn't do the same - 'in fact children, we can help the hen - by making some dough for him!' This leads to mess with a purpose - chance to develop vocab / lang - children could have own pot (yog pot) and spoon - lots of science opportunities when mixing the flour and water, is it the right consistency - why not / how can make it right etc - then the kneading / rolling / pinching - take along some crusty bread so they can see how it will turn out once baked!

Rec interview

Have a story bag containing the story characters - to match those in the text - also put in a bag of flour and a slice of bread wrapped in cling film. My text was one I wrote myself because I wanted to put in rhyme and alliteration - LSL point 2! - can get you a copy if needed! I toldthe story Pie Corbett style, with actions, and children joined in really quickly because it was so repetitive. They were able to say 'dozy dog, clever cat, pretty pig - we briefly talked about what other animals there could be - silly.......... snake / dizzy .......... duck etc.

I have also done this story with the items wrapped up pass the parcel style - some disappointment when no lollies popped out of the layers!

Hope this is useful -get in touch if you want more info, good luck.

Jenni

Hi, well done!

Why not use Little Red Hen story for both interviews.

Nursery interview:

CLL / KUW link Read story to children - use a very simple, short version - briefly talk about how animals were mean etc and how 'we' wouldn't do the same - 'in fact children, we can help the hen - by making some dough for him!' This leads to mess with a purpose - chance to develop vocab / lang - children could have own pot (yog pot) and spoon - lots of science opportunities when mixing the flour and water, is it the right consistency - why not / how can make it right etc - then the kneading / rolling / pinching - take along some crusty bread so they can see how it will turn out once baked!

Rec interview

Have a story bag containing the story characters - to match those in the text - also put in a bag of flour and a slice of bread wrapped in cling film. My text was one I wrote myself because I wanted to put in rhyme and alliteration - LSL point 2! - can get you a copy if needed! I toldthe story Pie Corbett style, with actions, and children joined in really quickly because it was so repetitive. They were able to say 'dozy dog, clever cat, pretty pig - we briefly talked about what other animals there could be - silly.......... snake / dizzy .......... duck etc.

I have also done this story with the items wrapped up pass the parcel style - some disappointment when no lollies popped out of the layers!

Hope this is useful -get in touch if you want more info, good luck.

Jenni

Hi Jenni I love both these ideas and would love a copy of your text, as for the nursery one this is great do you think I will get it done in twenty minutes, I think the only thing I am a bit scared of is them not ending up with dough and just a gloopy mess!!! In my own class and with children I know Im all for trying anything, but I know I really do have to be original to even be in with a chance of getting to the afternoon interview.

Hi Jenni I love both these ideas and would love a copy of your text, as for the nursery one this is great do you think I will get it done in twenty minutes, I think the only thing I am a bit scared of is them not ending up with dough and just a gloopy mess!!! In my own class and with children I know Im all for trying anything, but I know I really do have to be original to even be in with a chance of getting to the afternoon interview.

you will end up with gloopy mess but this will lead onto a teaching opportunity and a follow up activity about the need for 'standard' measures. can you pm me so we can share stuff? I will need to upload my story and maybe explain the actions etc.

Cheers

Jenni

7_Nov_LRHen.docHere is my version of the Little red hen story - very brief as you can see but it has alliteration and rhyme in it. In my lesson plan I matched it to specific scale points for CLL and KUW, also to relevant parts of ages and stages doc.

I know what you mean about gloopy mess, you could maybe have one bowl - put the flour in it and let ch take turns to add spoons of water and stir - lots of lang / vocab opportunities - maths words. They could use hands for the final mixing as the dough came together - then receive a piece each for kneading etc.

I would also have a large piece of ready made dough for ch to use after their attempts - your lesson plan could refer to how you would build on what happened during this session - responding to what ch might say - someone might say ' we have to weigh it out' - depending on their own experiences at home

7_Nov_LRHen.docHere is my version of the Little red hen story - very brief as you can see but it has alliteration and rhyme in it. In my lesson plan I matched it to specific scale points for CLL and KUW, also to relevant parts of ages and stages doc.

I know what you mean about gloopy mess, you could maybe have one bowl - put the flour in it and let ch take turns to add spoons of water and stir - lots of lang / vocab opportunities - maths words. They could use hands for the final mixing as the dough came together - then receive a piece each for kneading etc.

I would also have a large piece of ready made dough for ch to use after their attempts - your lesson plan could refer to how you would build on what happened during this session - responding to what ch might say - someone might say ' we have to weigh it out' - depending on their own experiences at home

Hi just wanted to let you know I was judged as outstanding in my lesson so got through to interview, but did not get the post. I can get feedback later in the week. But never mind on to tomorrows interview.

Thanks guys its the questions that get me I try not to waffle but think sometimes I don't say enough, today I was asked if I went into the big brother house how long would I last!!!

congrats on the outstanding 1st bit of the interview, it must be a confidence boost if nothing else, the afternoon bit I'd put down to experience. Think I prefer the Big Brother question to where would you be in 5 years time! Good luck for your next interview x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)