Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Group Work - Split Age Groups? Keyworker?

Hi,

I am new to nursery this year and at the moment everyday we do daily phonics or time for talk sessions. Phonics sessions tend to be whole class and time for talk sessions tend to be split into two groups. Would you recommend always splitting into two groups for continuity and also do you split by any criteria? Age?

Also how do people organise their keyworker time?

So may questions!

Thanks!!

Zoziebell x

For the last few years we've split by age, I have the pre-school children in my group and we do different, and more challenging things (L&S, more SST and problem-solving) We're in another room for the morning and then all together in the afternoon with the younger children.

Sometimes a child who has another year to go with us, but is a late birthday will join us too, if numbers permit.

Before that we worked more as 'family groupings' sharing out the groups by working down the register initially so we all had a good mix of ages. This worked quite well too as each practitioner got a good understanding of the growing abilities and the older children 'brought the younger ones on' within the key groups. However, where it fell down was that some children became 'bored' in these clusters and gravitated together naturally by age, so it became obvious that, as planning for specific ages groups was slightly easier we would split them in that way.

Thanks Cait!

I am finding that a lot of the time I am not extending as high as some of my children can go and spending a lot of time working with those children that require a simpler activity so I think age groupings is probably best for the mo. It is good to hear how other practitioners do it and that you have decided to opt for age. Like you said it can be nice for mixed abilities though at times. How do you fit in time for your keyworker to have groups? Do you do this at activities in the nursery?

Thanks!

Zoziebell

Well I'm key person for the oldest group, and the other children are divided amongst the other staff according to shift patterns. They have a mix of ages from 2 - 3. They have keyperson time during the session

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)