Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Computer Has A Virus. Apparently.

HappyMaz

I remember when the first computerised telex machine arrived in our office. For the first time we could type our message onto the screen, to make sure it was correct before sending. For some reason the message was coded into a long strip of white paper which then got fed back through the machine in order to be sent to its destination (the message, not the paper!). It was like suddenly finding out I was a Wizard and was off to Hogarts...

Slightly off track but we just got back from Egypt and at the airport brought a can of fanta that had the old fashioned ring pull that you actually pulled off....baffled my daughter of 14 and when we showed her she said 'well what do you do with the ring pull now?'

I explained that you have 3 choices;

Chuck on the floor as many people did

Take the trouble to find a bin

Hold it while you drink the drink and then put it in the can when finished

Funny how you take life's little conveniences for granted :o

Actually there's a fourth. You slip the ring onto your finger whilst you're drinking and hope not to poke your eye out with the tab. Then you put the ring pull back into the empty can for disposal.

And there's a fifth. You can slip the whole thing back into the can after you've taken a few sips and count how many times you almost sallow it/cut your lip on it.

You can see what sort of childhood I led can't you?

Actually there's a fourth. You slip the ring onto your finger whilst you're drinking and hope not to poke your eye out with the tab. Then you put the ring pull back into the empty can for disposal.

And there's a fifth. You can slip the whole thing back into the can after you've taken a few sips and count how many times you almost sallow it/cut your lip on it.

You can see what sort of childhood I led can't you?

I used to put it back in and then drink but being a responsible parent I didn't suggest that to my child :o

Ahh, my favoured option! There was also a charity which collected ring pulls wasn't there? Seem to remember saving them for something - could have been Blue Peter I suppose

so many things spring to mind reading this one,

the ring pulls , I too used to put it in the can and drink... or do remember collecting them but cannot remember who for, but ended up making a door curtain with them by linking them together! Early recycling project there!

playing games on a computer with a tape.. only took half hour to load

which then goes onto playing those early tennis games..

and floppy discs , yes we have one or two hidden away somewhere...

Ah memories, I too have lots of floppy discs in my attic, and Maz, I too used some for playgroup, as I recall once dismantled there was a black circle piece which represented wheels for collages.

As for the nuisance call :o

When someone calls saying they just have a few questions (customer survey to improve their service etc)

I interrupt their spiel and ask

How much will you pay me?

Oh no, just a few questions, it could save you money

No, My knowledge is worth £40 a minute, I don't give any information for free (this really throws them)

...but we don't pay...

Then before you continue, I suggest you stop, as I said my knowledge, views opinions will cost you £40 per minute which your company obviously cannot afford.

at which point they hang up. xD

The sales calls, I can never understand who they say they are at initial introduction. I again interrupt their spiel and say:

We never agree such business over the phone and if I could have understood who you are I would look up your website, but because I didn't, I won't, goodbye.

Hmmmmm....I wonder what will replace the CD, in years to come everything will be virtual, no paper,no floppy discs, no CD's, no memory sticks all information swirling around in the www.

OR those viruses will wipe us all out and the world will be desolate until, like the War of the Worlds we are saved by the common cold. :(

Peggy