Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Fed Up Again Really

I have been working for six hours today, typing up some observations on a child I have concerns about - planning for the first week back, updating staff rotas etc etc - I worked fours on Monday and I am so fed up with the monotonous mountain of work that I always have to do....Im not very good at delegation but not one of my staff would do what I do, I will probably claim a couple of hours extra for all this work as I know we are tight for money, we paid sick leave, full pay for a member of staff for 4 months last term - I am feeling bitter, undervalued and fed up but you know what its always the same, term in, term out - I have to get out!! :o

Chin up we all feel like that from time to time. Sounds like the children you look after are very lucky to have somebody who cares about what they do so much. Lets hope it rubs off on the staff around you to make your life a little easier!

Not quite sure what advice to offer as I am a workaholic myself but time to stop now it is a Friday evening! :o

I was a workaholic like you for 14 yrs - and in an odd sort of way did enjoy what I did, I wanted the best for the children (even though I always found myself working through the normal school holidays and beyond). I loved my setting, the staff team and the kids - but was evermore becoming disheartened with things. As a manager, I made the bold decision to leave in summer 2010 and don't regret it one bit. After an unusual year of employment opportunities following my decision to leave, I now have a fab job, less pay, more hours, still working with the age group I love (early years) BUT - I don't take ANY work home and I have really enjoyed having a half term holiday without doing anything work related - never known what this was like. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat/offload.

I have no magic words to offer you Shirel, and at the risk of repeating myself I can only add that your group is lucky to have you. At some point though you have to achieve some kind of work/life balance that actually tips in favour of 'life'. You might have a revelatory moment leading to a change of job like that which myhenroxanne describes, or you might just get worn down by the system which increasingly relies upon the goodwill of committed practitioners like you to maintain high quality provision.

Until you get to that stage in your life, you can always come on here and rant. We've been there, done that and have the (paint spattered) t-shirt.

For what its worth I think you'd be an excellent FE tutor. :o Have a lovely weekend with your lovely family.

Mx

I was a workaholic like you for 14 yrs - and in an odd sort of way did enjoy what I did, I wanted the best for the children (even though I always found myself working through the normal school holidays and beyond). I loved my setting, the staff team and the kids - but was evermore becoming disheartened with things. As a manager, I made the bold decision to leave in summer 2010 and don't regret it one bit. After an unusual year of employment opportunities following my decision to leave, I now have a fab job, less pay, more hours, still working with the age group I love (early years) BUT - I don't take ANY work home and I have really enjoyed having a half term holiday without doing anything work related - never known what this was like. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat/offload.

i agree exactly the same as you - but once i leave work that is it - never take it home anymore - thank you for reminding me, leaving a setting that is your life and soul after so many years is a wrenth but looking back was a good decision - good luck shirel have a relaxing weekend xxx

Thanks for your replies and I realise that this is a post that I have done over and over since joining the forum in 2005 - some my friends that I started to talk to on here have, interestingly moved on to other jobs and over the years we have all supported each other and agreed about the workload and home/work balance as an early years manager - the job has a shelf life, I just need to hope I can find something else soon before I crack! I am on the look out and it will not be as a nursery manager - I have had my fill...thanks again for your replies - really appreciated... :o

and thank you especially Hali and Maz - always there for everyone - Maz funny you should mention the FE tutor thing - its something I would love to do..

Edited by Guest

Maz funny you should mention the FE tutor thing - its something I would love to do..

Well get sending your CV to your local colleges, and ring up and enquire about PETLS or whatever its called these days! You'll be fab!

It's not even about the money with the unpaid hours, you would still feel the same if paid overtime, it's about being valued, supported and a bit about not having the oomph to say NO (because you're worn out and it seems easier to do yourself rather than delegate)

BIG HUG ShireL, just read my signature...................

So agree with you all, especially Peggy, being valued and appreciated is key. I leave at Christmas having survived 18months so take my hat off to those of you who managed 14 years. Am intrigued though, after leaving nursery management what jobs have you gone on to do?

Who makes you type up observations?...sounds like a waste of time and makes them look like they could be made up. I'd knock that one on the head straight away. Anyone who knows early years wouldn't expect that to prove anything would they? Give them the handwritten real version.

Good luck to you...I know how you feel X

They need to be typed up in my opinion - its a specific case whereby I need to present the information for a board and the local authority so although more authentic and ok for learning diaries handwritten this needs to be read by several outside agencies and my handwriting is a tad messy - I am conscious of wording though, I realise that the problem with typing is you can misinterpret or re-word and lose context - not ideal but necessary.

Thanks Peggy - your Ace!

Edited by Guest

So agree with you all, especially Peggy, being valued and appreciated is key. I leave at Christmas having survived 18months so take my hat off to those of you who managed 14 years. Am intrigued though, after leaving nursery management what jobs have you gone on to do?

I closed my preschool in 2007, I am now a foster carer, with my husband, both full time bringing up a sibling group of four children. And we still have Ofsted forms to complete and paperwork is still the curse of our profession. Fostering is great though.

I still have very strong, fond memories of my 20+ years with preschool.

Peggy

They need to be typed up in my opinion - its a specific case whereby I need to present the information for a board and the local authority so although more authentic and ok for learning diaries handwritten this needs to be read by several outside agencies and my handwriting is a tad messy - I am conscious of wording though, I realise that the problem with typing is you can misinterpret or re-word and lose context - not ideal but necessary.

Thanks Peggy - your Ace!

Your worries sound a tad like the speak of a perfectionist ShireL :o

That's why you should be valued more, but give yourself some slack too. xD

Peggy