Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eal Policy And Practice

No but we have been told that outstanding settings often have an EAL policy or protocol as quite visible. I am trying to put something together that pulls together what we are doing as we have a high proportion of EAL children. I also want to make sure that there are not too many gaps in our practice. Feel I would benefit from seeing something written down. We have a general inclusion policy but it's not practical enough for what I want. Applies to the whole school. I want something more tailored to EYFS.

If it's all in the school policies you don't need a separate one...just making sure the school policy covers anything different that is required by EYFS statutory legislation would suffice.

To be honest Ofsted are more interested in the impact of policy on outcomes rather than the papers themselves - do your EMA/EAL children do as well as all the rest? Do you have any children from grops that do least well nationally such as GRT? Knowing the data re EMA groups is important. That is how they identify gaps in practice!!

Cx

If it's all in the school policies you don't need a separate one...just making sure the school policy covers anything different that is required by EYFS statutory legislation would suffice.

To be honest Ofsted are more interested in the impact of policy on outcomes rather than the papers themselves - do your EMA/EAL children do as well as all the rest? Do you have any children from grops that do least well nationally such as GRT? Knowing the data re EMA groups is important. That is how they identify gaps in practice!!

Cx

What are grops/EMA/GRT?! :o

Sorry- groups such as Gypsy, Roma, Traveller (GRT), EMA is shorthand for ethnic minority achievement so relates to any children who are not coded as white british in any ethnicity data. Looking at gaps and being able to talk about what you are doing to narrow/close gaps in achievement is a big Ofsted focus in terms of gaining good or better.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)