Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sd & Ed Cultures Profile Points

Today a little girl told the class about going to France for her aunties wedding- leaving that night.

She then went on to say that she sometimes eats frogs legs and snails and that i might not like them but she does - must say i was very impressed.

Later i was saying to mum how impressed i was that she had tried them. Mum laughed saying she had never had them. I'm still laughing - she was so convincing.

Anyway i was wondering would you still give these points; although her story about the frogs legs and snails were completely fabricated, i feel she is still showing awareness of different cultures.

What do you think?

Agreed. You need to be seeing this as typical behaviours and a one off wouldn't be the basis for saying they'd achieved the scale point securely. As a moderator I wouldn't take just one example or anecdote, I'd want to see how this skill is demonstrated in different ways.

Cx

I wouldnt be scoring those points at all at this point in the year.

You could use this as evidence towards a final judgement later though so I would notate it within her profile.

can i ask why?

last year i had a young girl who was very aware of her own religion and culture and was able to identify differences between them ....so for instance she was able to explain about heaven and which religion believed in this. She talked about the bible and the Koran and could identify which of the teachers were likely to observe which religion due to their colour/languages. Bearing in mind she was pre-profile would you not have considered her as understanding these concepts?

The scale points are quite wide really - there's the social awareness of diversity element in SD and the self esteem element of Emotional development, both across needs, cultures (ie lifestyles) and beliefs. this is then across their own needs, etc etc and the needs etc etc of others so the sole examples shared wouldn't cover the range exemplified in the handbook, to fully say they were demonstrating the the range of understanding to score those points yet. They may have a part of it but not all of it.

Cx

Edited by catma

Thanks for the replies

I was thinking- evidence towards, not actually giving the point. I do struggle getting evidence towards these points - i work in a very small village school and a lot of the children are related in one way or another.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)