Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Question

First of all, I have to say this doesn't affect me or the setting (at the moment anyway!) But I just want to know the answer.

I had a publication come through about mothers and babies to display for parents. On the last page it has 'maternity rights' it says -

'pregnant women do not have to inform their employers until 15 weeks before due date' (or something very similar - I'm thinking about it now, but have left the booklet at work)

HOWEVER, isn't a pregnant person supposed to tell employer as soon as poss (I could understand wanting to wait 12 weeks etc) for health and safety reasons... so they can do risk assessments etc?

found this about the risk assessment...

HSE mothers

says no legal need for specific risk assessment but can be done if you wish...

and other checks so in fact say you dont have to tell but must tell your employer you want to take Statutory Maternity Leave at least 15 weeks before the beginning of the week your baby is due. baby world when to tell your boss

found this about the risk assessment...

HSE mothers

says no legal need for specific risk assessment but can be done if you wish...

and other checks so in fact say you dont have to tell but must tell your employer you want to take Statutory Maternity Leave at least 15 weeks before the beginning of the week your baby is due. baby world when to tell your boss

hmmmm.... interesting - because an Health and Safety course both myself and my deputy have been on recently told us we 'had' to do RAs on pregnant women at the earliest time possible!

hmmmm.... interesting - because an Health and Safety course both myself and my deputy have been on recently told us we 'had' to do RAs on pregnant women at the earliest time possible!

I guess you would do it as soon as you know and that would be when they chose to tell you or when the evidence spoke for itself.

I imagine in some careers the risk is minimal and if a person felt that they would be treated differently then they may keep it under wraps for as long as possible.

I looked like a barge balloon so no chance of concealing my condition :o