Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Manager Problems

I have a huge problem, a manager who won't manage! This person speaks to people like they are idiots, questions constantly why staff are doing things (all level, 3, 4, and beyond up to eyps and qts) is very unprofessional. She constantly changes her mind about things,

often within minutes, and staff are so fed up. I am deputy, but she treats me like a fool. The owner of the nursery is constantly in checking up on things, and he is not happy with the way things are being done. However, he is good friends with the manager! Surely it is the mangers job to ensure the smooth running of things? The staff will not approach her, and come to me with most things. We just wish she would stay in the office and let us get on with it. The owner has known her a long time, but i am sure he has no idea how she works and unprofessional she is. If things go wrong, she blames others, but I say as manager she is ultimately responsible. I want to speak to the owner, but fear it will fall on deaf ears. Any advice? Morale is rock bottom and I am desperate! :o

IS THERE AN APPRAISAL SYSTEM IN PLACE THAT ENSURES EVERYONE INCLUDING THE MANAGER IS APPRAISED.

OUR MANAGER IS GOING TO BE APPRAISED TOMORROW AND THE SENIOR STAFF HAVE BEEN ASKED FOR THEIR INPUT

IF THE APPRAISAL SYSTEM IS LACKING MAYBE YOU CAN INTRODUCE ONE

Sort of, but who would do hers? I'm so fed up. little things like a bit of sand on the floor or paint drips are a massive big deal, but important things are swept to one side and issues fobbed off. I try to ignore her, as i have lost all respect, and so have the rest of the staff.

Appraisal is definitely not the time to raise serious concerns about an employee's performance.

It sounds to me that the time has come for you to have a serious word with your owner. If he isn't aware of how low morale is, then he needs to know and urgently. Otherwise he will suddenly find himself with high staff turnover, and no idea what has caused it.

In his place, I would definitely want to know if the manager I had such faith in was causing such problems in my nursery. Hard to hear, but very necessary to hear it nonetheless.

What a difficult situation, but I agree with Maz that the owner needs to know straight away rather than through an appraisal. If things are sorted out, then the ongoing monitoring of how the manager is working could be carried out through appraisal.

Perhaps, if it is easier, you could write the owner a letter. Sometimes it easier to put across all your concerns by writing them down clearly and calmly rather than getting into a heated discussion which doesn't go anywhere. This might work if you feel you wouldn't be listened to.

I hope you get a positive outcome

Beehive

If you're worried about any possible implications upon your own employment with the setting of telling your employer of your concerns, do a bit of research on the whistle blowing legislation and how it all works. I'm sure it protects you, but not sure whether your type of scenario is covered.

I agree with Maz and also add that a good manager needs to be part of the nursery and not just sit in the office, I would not know how my setting ran if i sat away from it all. They have to have a 100% belief in their setting giving it always a 110%

to the staff children and parents and it must be very sad for you all that she does not.

hope its sorted for you

• 4 months later...

I agree with Gardener - a good manager needs to be part of the team - not couped up in an office - to be part of the team giving 110% and ensuring others follow too.

And If you have concerns - and reporting to the manager is not working - sharing your concerns with the owner should not be dismissed - failing that to powers beyond especially if you have concerns of the safety of the children in the settling.

Hi Mollyjump, its a while since you posted your concerns, I hope that you have been able to talk to the owner about your concerns.

I wanted to say thanks to beehive for posting her whistle blowing policy. Our setting are looking to put one together, so this will help us in drawing up our policy.

Thanks