Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hygiene And Safety

hi does anyone know if you have to keep updating hygiene and safety certificates?if so how many yeas?

i was told a couple to years ago by enivromental health that it is not essential to have this certificate?

many thanks

When we had a visit from EH earlier this year I asked this question. We had one staff member that had completed many years ago (for a different job) but had lost it. She wasn't to worried and said 'it would be nice' for someone to have a more up-to-date one, and that it prob wasn't worth the money/effort to get a copy of the lost cert.

What she did do though was send us the relevant pages and a DVD form the Better Food Safer Business (not sure if that's the correct name!) and asked that all staff watched the DVD.

We are a pre-school, and just prepare snacks, serve packed lunches and carry out regular simple cooking activities with the children.

according to our local authority you need at least one person level 2 trained and this must be renewed every 3 years. You can get the safer food better business pack for free from the food standards agency.We have just been inspected and so will now not be done again for 3 years unless there are any problems. (you need to record your checks each day including the fridge temperature.)

according to our local authority you need at least one person level 2 trained and this must be renewed every 3 years. You can get the safer food better business pack for free from the food standards agency.We have just been inspected and so will now not be done again for 3 years unless there are any problems. (you need to record your checks each day including the fridge temperature.)

Yet again different LAs and different rules!!

I will add that someone (me) did do the food one this year anyway - and as part of good practice will update every three years.

Our LA is far more concerned that we have a least one senior staff member fully trained at level 3 for health and safety.

intersting as in theory anything above a level2 does not need renewal as they are fairly significant training courses (3 days for level 3 and 5 for level 4)I have a level 3 qualification from years ago and the EHO was quite happy with this!!

Yet again different LAs and different rules!!

I will add that someone (me) did do the food one this year anyway - and as part of good practice will update every three years.

Our LA is far more concerned that we have a least one senior staff member fully trained at level 3 for health and safety.

HSE told me that anyone who handles food needed the food hygiene training, or to have had it cascaded to them in house, but that no one was required to undergo health and safety training so long as the person undertaking the role was competent and knew where to go for advice if they felt out of their depth. They then said that I was on the phone to them asking that last point had been proved :o . However I know some LAs include conditions in their funding agreements about certain training, etc. I argued with ours that they could only do that if they provided reasonably priced access to their mandatory training (and they did agree in the end).

HSE told me that anyone who handles food needed the food hygiene training, or to have had it cascaded to them in house, but that no one was required to undergo health and safety training so long as the person undertaking the role was competent and knew where to go for advice if they felt out of their depth. They then said that I was on the phone to them asking that last point had been proved :o . However I know some LAs include conditions in their funding agreements about certain training, etc. I argued with ours that they could only do that if they provided reasonably priced access to their mandatory training (and they did agree in the end).

Yes, sadly we had a very tragic child death with in our LA recently - hence all setting now needing a level 3 in health and safety. (less emphasis on food hygiene for us- but we are just a sessional pre-school- limited actual food prep.... full daycare would be a different case)

They do provide the training at £90 for a three day course, but trying to get booked onto them is a totally different matter, plus added to that you have to do the one day (£30) course first!

It all still adds up though as we have to provide staff cover for the total 4 days as well as paying for the training.