Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transport Theme Girlie Inspiration

Hi in response to my boy heavy class who are train obsessed, I have decided to plan a transport theme after half term so I have arranged a visit to the train museum close to us and am borrowing some old toy vehicles from our museum loan service. I am going to use books like jolly postman, mr gumpy's outing, mr gumpy's boat, Oi get off our train, the naughty bus as starting points for my CLL and PSRN each week and then leading up to Christmas Jolly xmas postman and Harvey sluffenburger's christmas present. We will have most likely have a santa's workshop as our role play area and the children will be involved in sleigh design for the role play area. Now I am having a bit of a panic that next term's theme is too boy orientated (do I need to worry?) am wondering if anyone has any transport ideas or books which are perhaps more girlie orientated. I will obviously be using the children's ideas to plan the activities for their CI time so maybe I don't need to worry as if uninspired by the transport theme, I can go with their interests.

Deb

It depends how 'girlie' they are. I was heavily into trains as a child and would have felt quite offended to be asked to do something overtly 'girlie'.

Could they make a pram or a car for a teddy? How about air hostesses or travel agents or something?

I wouldn't worry too much - I often end up planning round boys interests and the girls always seem happy to go along with whatever we do. I think that so much of what we do in school is slanted towards girls that planning 'boyish' topics just redresses the balance a bit!

I too have a very boy heavy class this year and the girls seem to be coping pretty well so far. However, what about hot air balloons? Can't think of a specific book but was thinking they are 'prettier'. Also the few girls I do have are pretty horse obsessed so how about something relating to horse drawn carriages? Will keep pondering for you.

What about going on a 'magic' bus or train ride - the word 'magic' usually appeals to all, or even a magic carpet! Or something about Peppa pig's car or Maisy books - we have one about trains which is currently in our small-world area!

I have a boy heavy class too and the girls are often found playing with the trains while the boys are in the home-corner with the prams and babies!

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)