Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sense Of Taste

Hi,

We're doing sense of taste - a tasting activity. Looking to explore what children like and dislike and the 4 groups of bitter, sour, sweet and salty. I was wondering what foods teachers have used for bitter and sour - Is lemon bitter or sour or both? was going to also do crisps for salty, chocolate/banana for sweet.

Any ideas really appreciated.

Thank you

gosh this is quite a complex idea..what age group are you dealing with? there are really five taste areas not four and if you are doing this as a scientific experiment then i think i would be careful with the like/dislike question and swop it for a what does it taste like type question. (otherwise when children are offered anything with lemon or sweet and sour in the future they may refuse to try it!)...why not just have a selection of different foods for them to try and see what information they come up with?...just my opinion of course! :o

Guest tinkerbell

We had apple day last week and each child brought in an apple from home.The variety was amazing as was the work it produced from the children's ideas.drawing,painting ,tasting,weighing,ordering,counting....cooking

The tasting was good as each group talked about the apples and then I cut a clice for them to try the words they used to describe the taste was written down for a display , juicy sweet,crunchy etc the Bramley I warned was for cooking and asked them what they thought? sour,.Some liked it some wrinkled their noses.Pink lady and Early Windsor were the favourite.

We finished by peeling all the apples and stewing them with a little sugar.The next day the children made an apple pudding by putting 3 spoonfuls of the mixture into an individual bowl and crumbling half a weetabix on top.Topped with a little ice cream we had a great afternoon treat.

I have gone off the point ...tasting apples ,they are familiar to the children and alreadythey have preferences but were willing to have a go at all the varieties even the Bramley and a sour Granny Smith.

Edited by tinkerbell

We had apple day last week and each child brought in an apple from home.The variety was amazing as was the work it produced from the children's ideas.drawing,painting ,tasting,weighing,ordering,counting....cooking

The tasting was good as each group talked about the apples and then I cut a clice for them to try the words they used to describe the taste was written down for a display , juicy sweet,crunchy etc the Bramley I warned was for cooking and asked them what they thought? sour,.Some liked it some wrinkled their noses.Pink lady and Early Windsor were the favourite.

We finished by peeling all the apples and stewing them with a little sugar.The next day the children made an apple pudding by putting 3 spoonfuls of the mixture into an individual bowl and crumbling half a weetabix on top.Topped with a little ice cream we had a great afternoon treat.

I have gone off the point ...tasting apples ,they are familiar to the children and alreadythey have preferences but were willing to have a go at all the varieties even the Bramley and a sour Granny Smith.

Thanks everyone - food for thought

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)