Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keeping Track

Hi

how do you keep track of what you have observed in your children's learning journey's and also do you say they have achieved a certain area even if its only been observed once? and how do you keep track of what stage of development each child is in for each area of development.

Hope this makes sense and someone can help!

Thanks

To keep track of the evidence in our learning journeys we have a sheet in the back split into the learning areas then split again into the different aspects of each area ie with PSRN calculating, space, shape and measure and numbers as labels and for counting.

We then put a date in the column when something has been seen.

My colleague also adds a number found on the photos in her LJ's

We use the profile provided by our authority to keep track of progress.

Pre-school.

We have a sheet with all the Areas/Aspects on it (one for each child, one side A4) and keypersons add to it with ticks - 1,2,or 3= emerging, developing or secure (this is done during the term, adding ticks as more is observed).

At the end of each term we then log this onto PRAMs. We did try and do this each half-term, but now we only do it the once a term.

I don't think I've expalined that well, but it works for us :o

Staff have one hour a week non-contact to do paperwork.

We 'colour code' our age bands and tick in relevant colours.

Edited by louby loo

Hello Louby Lou,Yes I like the sound of the way you do yours, its similiar to us.Observations and photos done by anyone on childs individual sheet with some photos. Staff then highlight the aspect in childrens learning folders and then updateI PRAMS. Do you use both papercopy + PRAMS. My EYDO is telling me that I need to do both but I don't see the point of extra work.

Hello Louby Lou,Yes I like the sound of the way you do yours, its similiar to us.Observations and photos done by anyone on childs individual sheet with some photos. Staff then highlight the aspect in childrens learning folders and then I update PRAMS. Do you use both papercopy + PRAMS. My EYDO is telling me that I need to do both but I don't see the point of extra work.

Do you use both papercopy + PRAMS. My EYDO is telling me that I need to do both but I don't see the point of extra work.

We do have both - but by default rather than planned!

Staff keep the paper copy to update as they go along. We did discuss just uploading straight onto PRAMs, but some staff are not that confident- plus added to this we have no internet access at work and seem to have problems putting it on the memory stick and transfering it over.

xxxx

Thanks.

I have got a copy of all development matters statements for each child. Do I highlight those once the child as achieved it?

Also, am I right in thinking that if they do something once it would be classed as emerging, twice for developing and three times secure.

and do I only highlight when I have observed something 3 times?

Sorry to sound so stupid but not done it before and want to get it right as we are expecting ofsted in November!

Thanks

Do you have a development worker that can advise you?

It seems each LA has their 'preferred' way of working, so they could be your best starting place for help.

As you can see - even though bubblejack and I do similar, our LAs have different expectations!

That said, personally we stopped highlighting the different statements, but look more closely at the age-bands as a whole. So we assess at which band they are operating within rather than individual statements.

Also I found that by using the Guidance book itself (we used to just have all the statements- on about 6 pages, one for each child which we highlighted) staff are more aware of the wealth of information that back up the statements.

xxx

We have all the statements with a dot next to them under each area. The keyperson then marks the dot with a colour once it has been observed, and then does a colour code for the months or term at the bottom.

We used to say you needed to see it 3 times to be sure but our EYA said No, if they do it once then it has been observed in your setting and you might wait another 6 months to see it again and then another 6 months to see it for a 3rd time. The date put for when it was observed would then be inaccurate by a year. So to cut a long story short if it is seen once we mark they can do it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)