Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing Learning With Parents In A Simple Way

Hi

Please can anyone out there help me? I am a teacher working in a school nursery and trying to move away from a system of filing work - which is annotated in a file for each child. There is a section for 'home' for parents/children to share with nursery. We have seperate 'observation' books where all our pointed post it notes are kept and used for assessment.

I want a simple and easier way of sharing information with parents and get parents to join in with adding observations of their own? I suppose like a learning journal but not in so much depth?

Can anyone help if you understand my waffle.... feeling a little stressed today :o

Thanks

Each child has an A5 notebook where we write things that children have done, stick in pictures of them having fun and ask for specific things, like today I've asked for children to find some green leaves to bring in tomorrow. Parents write about what children have been doing at evenings and weekends and any great or mini-milestones and also stick pictures in too. I often use parent observations in children's learning files.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest youngrisers

Hi jerseygirl,

We keep a portfolio on every child who attends the setting but have our learning journeys which go back and forth from home to setting, this is where parents have the opportunity to contribute to our observations by including their photographs, ideas and outings that they have completed with their children, Some of them have fantastic weekend lives! obviously not all parents take part so we encourage them by putting things the child has done in the setting so they are informed and can reply if they wish! I love reading learning journeys so do the children and we always thank the child for sharing their news! even our youngest children enjoy this...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)