Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Applying For A Job!

I am about to apply for a new job - have been at my existing school for 13 years and have no idea how to form a personal statement!! have all the info on what i need to include, it's just the getting started that i am struggling with. is there any kind sole out there who would be generous in sharing a successful one with me so i can have an idea as how to start it? Many, many thanks in advance!!

Go through the person spec line by line and think of recent relevant evidence of what you have done and more importantly what difference to children's outcomes it has had. An impact focused statement is so much better to read and see if the person can actually apply what they say they can do.

Spell check everything - we've been known to discount applications with spelling errors in them as a criteria is often good communication in oral and written forms.

cx

Hi there, welcome to the forum, thanks for making your first post and good luck with the job hunting.

There isn't a right way as such to start a personal statement, I have read many over the years, and the things that stick out to me are :

tidiness and neatness, accuracy of spelling and grammar.

All points covered in the person spec

An acknowledgement of future training or experience needed.

Something that gives me a picture of you and what you believe.

I usually would start with something like.

I would like to submit the following in support of my application... then write about each point in the person spec..

Good luck with it

Catma, crossed posts..

Many thanks. I'm an experienced teacher and i'm absolutely fine with responsing to the essential and desirable criteria given it's literally the opening paragraph that i'm struggling with!

Hi I have just finished applying for jobs, and was in the same situation as you. I started mine with 'since qualifying in .... I have worked in ...' then I put briefly about the ages I'd worked with and why I was now applying for a job out of the classroom. It then linked into showing what I'd done based on the spec.

Hope this helps

sunbeam

I was once told by a headteacher that they like personal statements where the points related to the person spec go, as much as possible, in the same order as they are on the list. That way it's easy for the person reading it to tick them off and it means that they pay more attention to what they're reading rather than just scanning through for the bits that cover what they want.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)