Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Mary Seacole Herbal Remedies Please!

Hi im doing mary seacole with my year2 class and we work in a FS manner.

Part ofwhatI want to do is put herbs and spoons etc in thewatertrayfor them to make their own concoctionsbut I also want to make some real rememdies with them.

Does anyone have any ideasforherbal salves and things that can go on bandages thatmight befun to make - the childrenwont actually apply them just make them.

Thanks

mel

It sounds a lovely idea but I would be really cautious about what you use - my osteopath has had to stop using any scents / oils in her practice and using lavender et al in her balm as people can react to them even if they are not aware. Bang goes the lovely lavender scented balm she used when working on my neck!

I too would be very cautious about making herbal remedies with children as not all herbs are as safe as we tend think. I would risk assess any herbs I wished to use and make sure that the children didn't think it would be OK to be picking herbs at home and making their own concoctions. Perhaps you could link this in with your drugs education, looking at what goes in my body and what goes on my body, and learning about drugs safety.

You could also do something on the importance of clean drinking water to prevent the spread of disease, and in the case of Mary Seacole and the Crimea, how poor water spread cholera. The children could be set the challenge of cleaning water 'polluted' with sand or soil in the water tray. Clean it and then ask if it is clear is it clean?

ohhh Mel....... I've justed remembered.........When we did Florence Nightingale, I made a pass the parcel, within each layer was a clue/significant object or piece of information. My intention was to generate discussion regarding the topic…..the children liked it that much that I’ve used this technique to introduce other topics.

ohhh Mel....... I've justed remembered.........When we did Florence Nightingale, I made a pass the parcel, within each layer was a clue/significant object or piece of information. My intention was to generate discussion regarding the topic…..the children liked it that much that I’ve used this technique to introduce other topics.

Sorry, nothing to add on the remedies front but wanted to say thank you for this idea - think it's lovely and will definitely be pinching it!

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)