Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Schemes

Would the reception teachers out there mind telling me what reading scheme they use? Based upon the fact that ours are ancient and none progressive at the moment we are looking to get a new scheme. Any recommendations?

In the meantime I thought that I could send home posters with parental instructions for the children and parents to discuss, has anyone done anything like this in their setting.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Nicky XX

Have you a school book wholesaler nearby where you could go and look at a few? I think it helps to see them for yourselves as you have to LIKE the books and stories yourself I think.

It seems to be one of those things where some folk like one scheme which could be hated by others

we have several different ones which slot together and are book banded and phonic based mostly the Floppy Phonics (ORT) but I particularly like the Rigby star books and we use them for guided reading. At a previous school we had the ruth miskin scheme throughout the school (readwriteinc) and I thought they were good too.

Last year I sent home the read write inc ditties (a photocopiable book) to children in lieu of a book and they went down well until I gave them a book to read.

Deb

We have the Jelly and Bean books which are totally phonically written. We got them last year and when I first saw them I wasn't impressed. However, the children adore them as they can succed at them from the very beginning. The children made fantastic progress in their reading too. I gather they're also relatively cheap!

We have a variety including Floppy phonics (ORT), Rigby Star and New Way. We also have a selection that are banded to the appropriate level as we are always looking for new books to inspire and motivate the children. If we see a scheme we like we try and get samples or a small selection to try out.

thank you guys, I think that 'the oxford reading tree', are sending us some samples. I like the sound of the Jelly Bean books

. We've had the current stack of books for 15 years so the thought of having the new ones for that long too means that I want to make sure we make the right choice. :o

Thanks once again NIcky XXXX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)