Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Data And Nc Levels

My friend is being asked to do assessment for her Year One class so that data for the beginning of the year can be put into the school tracker in order to demonstrate progress across the year. She is finding it very difficult especially in maths to do this. What do other schools do? Obviously she has the end of EYFS scale points as they stand but not NC levels. It seems too early to be doing this but the head wants data in the tracker. The rest of the school are doing assessments now. Any advice welcome - Thanks.

I will have to submit data in a couple of weeks too. I give my data in terms of EYFSP scale points where appropriate and NC levels where appropriate.

I.e. if a child is 'working below level 1' at this stage then I don't put them in as W or use P-scales or anything else I just work out which profile points they are secure in and submit the total for each subject (or it's closest equivalent).

If a child is working within level 1 then I submit that.

I keep using EYFSP scale points until at least Christmas and may do after Christmas although if I have a Y1 after Christmas who isn't yet working within level 1 then we start exploring possible SEN.

Hope that makes sense.

I.e. if a child is 'working below level 1' at this stage then I don't put them in as W or use P-scales or anything else I just work out which profile points they are secure in and submit the total for each subject (or it's closest equivalent).

Confused - why do you need to work out which scale points they have when it's already been done in reception? Or have I misunderstood?

Cx

Confused - why do you need to work out which scale points they have when it's already been done in reception? Or have I misunderstood?

Cx

Sorry - poor choice of words on my part. Of course I have their reception scale points (I 'did' them!) I just 'update' them if necessary e.g. it may be that child from whom I hadn't seen enough evidence to give a particular scale point to does, being a couple of months older and more experienced does just that so they may now have a total of 6 rather than 5 points in NLC. Does that make more sense?

Does it sound an ok way to do things? Being the only reception teacher in school (and the only teacher with any reception experience at all) I worry about doing things and then discover it's against all good EYFS practice!

H

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)