Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Going Home Time

Home time always seems so stressfull when it should be a nice calm end to the day.

With coats, bookbags, water bottles and lunchboxes on top of all their lovely art work.

Any fantastic suggesttions to make this time of the day calm for us all?

Home time always seems so stressfull when it should be a nice calm end to the day.

With coats, bookbags, water bottles and lunchboxes on top of all their lovely art work.

I have always taught the children the game 'heads down thumbs up' and it works as well with reception as it does right up to Y6. Once taught the children love the game so much that they speed up to get organised because I pick 4 children who are sitting ready with their things to go home. Once the 4 children are chosen they come out to the front and then I say 'heads down, thumbs up' and the children put their heads on their tables and their thumbs in the air. The 4 children chosen have to creep around and choose 1 person by tucking in their thumbs and then return to the front. I then say 'wakey wakey rise and shine stand up if you have been chosen' and the 4 children chosen have 1 guess as to who chose them. If they guess right, they get to be on next time and the person who chooses them goes back to their place. If they choose incorrectly then the person who chose them gets to stay on.

Deb

In Preschool we start to get 'end of session' things ready whilst children are getting their shoes on. So we collect together book bags, lunch boxes coats etc and put them in a circle. Once children have their shoes on they come and sit by their things and we have story and songtime. Then we put coats on, pick up bags and the children leave when someone has come for them. It all feels calm and unhurried

Congratulations on your first post Mrs Penquin :o

Can I ask are you in reception class or pre school setting?

In my nursery things would vary depending if we were in or out but as a general rule coats were on the racks and artwork or other things to take home were in the children's pockets (we had shoe holder thing hanging on the wall like this one ) where children put their toys and we would roll up dried pictures.....obviously some things were too big and they sat on the windowsills

1 member of staff would peel away from whatever activity was going on and supervise collecting and if things were getting busy then slow things down by not calling then next child immediately. When the group was small enough then 2 staff would be with the children passing coats artwork etc to parents and often doing coats etc to hurry parents along and out the door.

It wasn't always calm and smooth but by trying to restrict the number of children out in the hall area we did ok much of the time....mums often don't mind waiting if little jonny is enjoying a story etc.

Hope that makes sense

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)