Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Area

Hi there again!

I have a writing area in my classroom where the children have access to a variety of writing media and papers. this is a free writing area but i feel that sometimes it could be put to better use.

I was just wondering what everyone else have in thier writing area and do you scaffold any of the activities in there?

I am doing under the sea topic next half term and was wanting to encourage the children in different ways.

Any ideas greatfully recieved.

Thank You

Sarah

I have ahd my writing area up and running for 2 terms now (Been undergoing a radical chnage for our school...Reception was seen as anextension of Year 1 and we've spent a long time chnaging this!) To begin with it was free choice and i found the chn were not really using it very well. NOw i intoduce a different form of writing every two weeks, We've done lists, pictures with captions, making little books, writing postcards, messages, cards etc. AFter the whole class intriduction an adult is then based in that area for the rest of the morning so that when chn visit they are encoraged to use the form of writing that has been introduced. During LIteracy sessions (I have Year 1 so do a focussed LIt and num session 4 days each wek) I have focussed activites for the chn to do...Last week they were making patterns with letters by drawing round lareg letters and colouring in a pattern, this stays the same all week to give chn a chance to experience and practsie the same skills, sometimes with adult support and sometimes independently. AT other times of the day it is free choice. EVerynow and then i revist the different types of writing to renew interest. I'm no expert but it seems to work for us and the chn now seem to be use the area for writing as well as drawing pictures!

Great ideas Sarah,

Thank you. I put different resources into the area but find left to their own devices the children often use it for drawing, or if they bring in scissors and glue some form of technology! I look forward to giving your ideas a try! :D

Angela

Basing focus activities in the writing area is a good strategy I think - I always tried to do any focus activity in the relevant class area, i think it's all part of the modelling and scaffolding learning. I also think children will bring things from other areas - scissors and glue were part of my writing/graphics area as well, so children could make envelopes (or anything else) if they wanted.

Hi there again!

I am doing under the sea topic next half  term and was wanting to encourage the children in different ways.

Any ideas greatfully recieved.

Thank You

Sarah

32937[/snapback]

Hi Sarah,

I totally agree with what Catma says :D

Ideas for writing? mmm

There's a great image of Sponge Bob Square Pants that I found with Google last week - the kids really loved it. Perhaps they could add a speech bubble or a caption?

Commotion in the Ocean to spark some poetry? How about putting some sealife in the writing area?

Could you play Yellow Submarine as a stimulus for some descriptive writing to go with children's own pictures of submarines?

Information books about sea animals

Letter writing - message in a bottle

Any good? :o

Thanks for the ideas!! Sunday evening, planning done, then some great new ones!! I love this place :o

Cheers

Chris :D

Thanks for the ideas!! Sunday evening, planning done, then some great new ones!! I love this place :o

Cheers

Chris :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)