Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Become A Nvq Assessor

Hi all

I was hoping someone could help, I have recently completed my BA Hons in Early Years and my Early Years Professional Status, and am looking for a new challenge. I have worked in the early years sector for many years and would like to use my knowledge and skills to be able to mentor other colleagues in this field, so am looking into training to become a NVQ assessor. However I have no idea in what is involved in training to become an assessor, how long it takes, how much training is and where I could access training. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

i started mine through a college who were willing to let me do my A1 whilst assessing students - i did give it up though as it was a shambles and i wasnt getting anywhere after a year ( not that i am trying to put you off - ) but some colleges offer you A1s this way - good luck :o

Some training providers will train you whilst you are working. Google NVQ Assessor jobs in your area and some will come up I'm sure.

I worked as a full time assessor for a training provider for a while, I loved visiting the nurseries, meeting the learner's, guiding and mentoring them. However, I didnt like that some of the assessor's got the learners through the NVQ whether they were compent or not i.e. doing the work for them!! So I left!

Some training providers will train you whilst you are working. Google NVQ Assessor jobs in your area and some will come up I'm sure.

I worked as a full time assessor for a training provider for a while, I loved visiting the nurseries, meeting the learner's, guiding and mentoring them. However, I didnt like that some of the assessor's got the learners through the NVQ whether they were compent or not i.e. doing the work for them!! So I left!

I agree, I know many people who have passed their NVQ's without putting the work in, which in turn is leading to a low level of compent staff in settings. I'm hoping that in becoming an assessor I can begin to make a change to this (even if I can do it with only a few students) :o

Edited by Guest

I worked part time as an NVQ level 3 lecturer, and the lady in charge of the department asked if I would do the assessors course because they were short handed. . . so maybe some assessing jobs happen via something else!

I actually didnt do it because the lecturing was in the evening and I was working full time in a nursery and I didn't feel I would have time to assess students!!!!

Hope you find something though. . . maybe worth approaching local college and asking about where they get their assessors from?

I did mine through Havering College, they supplied me with students and a mentor, it was a bit easier for me as I knew the Early Years team at Havering as I completed both my NVQ 2 & 3 with them and start my Foundation Degree with them in a couple of weeks.

I am glad I did it but have yet to use it!!

Kris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I was approached by the college I did my NVQ2 and 3 at to see if I wanted to become an NVQ assessor. They funded me to do my A1 award and I absolutely loved it. Starting assessing level 4's then level 3. After a couple of years all they had were level 2's and this was not so interested. Loved visiting all the different settings as I fitted this in around my own preschool setting but did not enjoy the more basic level 2 as much. There are now NO NVQ's being offered and I did not want to retrain on the new apprenticship schemes so I have left. Was a really interesting and well paid role for a while and I learnt a lot from it. Hope that helps

JO

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)