Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Schooll Of Thought

ok so here are the choices;

you take over an established nursery, there are a few issues that need sorting; staff are demoralised, unguided and need some TLC, but appear keen and willing. Do you

a. bowl in heavy handed from the off, tell them what needs doing, how, why were and when, almost criticising them from the off, eb tough and forceful first and then nice afterwards

or

b. do you take a couple of weeks to get to know the staff, make notes of things, mention the most important ones straight away, in a nice way, guiding and mentoring, till eventually over some weeks, when you have built up a good relationship with them you tell them about the not so positive things you've noticed

no children are in any danger or at risk, its more that the practice needs a kick up the bottom than anything else, parents of existing children are happy, numbers are low but I have signed up 4 children this week!!

I have had this conversation with my Area Manager today; we don't agree on how to handle it.

So which camp are you in???????

yep me too get them together at a staff meeting ask them what they feel works/or dosnt/moans etc then have your input about what you feel and form an action plan. you will not please everyone but at least if you have listened then go your way it makes for a slightly smoother transition - good luck :o

yep that's exactly what I've done; at the staff meeting asked them want they wanted/needed, asked for their thoughts, input, tried to win their hearts and minds, spoke about working as a team etc etc, then gradually guide them and mentor them.

My area manager on the other hand wants me to come down heavy handed, go into the rooms hard and then be nice to them when they've done what I ask. Its my opinion that you have to get peoples their respect and understanding before you will get the response; they have to want to work with you and they won't if they are only getting berated!!!

I don't agree with your area managers approach at all Janny. The team already sound pretty demoralised, further critism of there work wont get the desired results. Team work all the way on this one, then you can start to unpick the unacceptable practise and start embedding the quality provision that the setting so obviously needs. Goodluck x

Hi Janny

A staff meeting will get the ball rolling, then one to one meetings, so that you can determine individual personalities (sometimes individuals are not happy expressing themselves in front of other stronger personalities) although at these meetings don’t agree to or promise anything, just take on board their ideas / concerns, an anonymous questionnaire could also be used then jointly form an action plan.

Being ‘heavy handed’ does not earn respect, your staff need to really want to make your setting work and that can only be done by inspiring your team and encouraging them. Praise what is good and change what isn't but change has to be a slow gentle process taking into account the individual strengths of your new team.

As the main area for improvement appears to be practice related, training / mentoring will be required, this will have implications on your budget, your area manager won't like that!

But at the end of the day you have a proven track record as an exceptional manager so you will have to persuade them that you know best.

Good Luck

Julie 

Edited by julie 12

I wonder how your manager would expect to be treated if weaknesses were identified in her practice? :o For what its worth, my advice would be to follow your own instincts - they are generally very sound!

Thank you all very much for your advice, seems we are all singing from the same hymn sheet; except my area manager that is!!!!!

And for those of you who do know my story I have decided to speak to HR officially along with 3 other of my fellow managers and I do know that at least another 2 have already done so..................................