Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creating A Market Stall (for Fruit N Veg)

Hi, I need to set up a market stall, selling fruit n veg and desperately need some ideas on how to make it look impressive! Of course it's not practical to go out and buy lots of fruit and veg, so what else can I do to provide maximum learning and impact??

When I have done something similar I have used the real fruit and vegetables. It might be worth asking if any of your children have fruit trees in their gardens because it can be quite expensive to do a stall like this. You could ask each child to bring in a piece of fruit or veg which you could use for discussion and sorting, and then put on your stall. Otherwise go for the cheapest stuff you can find. Potatoes, onions, and squash should last two weeks and potatoes are fairly cheap. Lemons and oranges keep quite well. Pears go off very quickly and carrots turn black and floppy after a couple of days, but carrots are very cheap. I talk with the children about not eating the produce, but inevitably a few bites go out of the apples :oxD

Could you cut the cauli and broccoli into florets so it looks like there are lots of small ones? Wrap some green tissue paper round the base. If you've got an Aldi near by they often have fruit, veg and salad at 39p.

We used potatoes and onions... so not many of the children tried to eat them! Although we find them all over the pre school.

We put out weighing scales, till, old keyboards, little shopping baskets from ELC and little canvas bags, clipboards with paper for shopping lists.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)