Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gossiping Women!

Why is it when a group of women work together they always have to gossip about each other...........

Why is there so much bitchiness going on, is it me or has it got worse.................. they always seem to have to talk about each other or moan about something otherwise they are not happy........... this is all my staff seem to be doing at the moment, they are worse than my teenage children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel like i need to be a referee rather than a manager............ Sorry but they are driving me crazy at the moment................maybe i should them in the big brother house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I am so glad you said this as I was honestly beginning to think it was me!! We went back after the summer break yesterday and whether it's because I've been 'out' of it for six weeks or they have got worse but by the end of today I was having to bite my tongue to not yell shut up- if you cant say something nice then dont say anything at all!! All day yesterday and for most of today they have taken it in turns to be downright nasty about everyone from their MIL's to Kerry Katona!! I think one of them in particular hasn't seen anyone else to talk to (or bitch to) since we broke up. It's very wearing isn't it.

The perils of working with women I think.

I worked in an office of 14 women a long time ago and the bitchiness and back stabbing were unbelievable, but

when I worked in an office of 20 men and one other women, it was lovely, chilled, friendly and humorous.

Tough one isn't it as you want you staff to be friendly and chat to one another but there is a point where they cross over and it all goes a bit pear shaped.

I think it is worth reminding staff that talking about the events in the Big Brother house etc over top of the children is not necessarily the most appropriate subject of conversation....fine on their coffee break in the staff room or before the setting opens and they are setting up but not when little ears are around.

As for bitching....really tricky, all you can try and do is encourage the if you can't say something nice don't say anything approach and if they have issues with a colleague then they should be talking to you not gossiping.

Best of luck!

Its my biggest negative of this job...thank goodness for the children to keep us going - the adults do spoil the atmosphere, the thing about the children is that they dont play a game with the relationship - put 6 or more women together and there will always be a couple who can stir it all up - I have only been back for 3 days and its started...

As for bitching....really tricky, all you can try and do is encourage the if you can't say something nice don't say anything approach and if they have issues with a colleague then they should be talking to you not gossiping.

Over the holidays I waded into something I wish I hadn't. One of my minded parents (also has children in my own children's classes) was bitching about one of the teachers on Facebook. After making light of the situation a couple of times in vain attempts to defuse the situation I made it clear that I though the teacher had been bullied in the past and should be cut some flack. Really wish I had just waded right on out without stopping. The high moral ground is a very lonely place to be.

Honey

Our setting is more of a family, only 5 girls so its more personnal, our children mix together when we have days out together in the holidays its lovely, dont get me wrong we all have a moan but its never bitchy! i do feel for you all in the bitchy settings, but we are not all like that, are we?????? :o

This may sound a bit bonkers but....I play 'Bring Me Sunshine', as my tidy up music.....the lyrics help me to put things into perspective.

Have you come across 'The Art of Being Brilliant'. http://www.artofbrilliance.co.uk

My friend at another school told me about it, it's worth a read. I've told the girls at work about it & if one of us starts to grumble we we say...'don't be a mood hoover'.

As my mum would say...'kill them with kindness'.....works every time.

Nicky XXX