Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ride-ons

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We are in the middle of purchasing ride-ons and just wondered what everyone else would recommend. I have gone for trikes with pedals such as the Weplay trike and taxi trike that holds 2 people. I just wondered would it be wise to go for a child's bike with stabilisers?

We are in the middle of purchasing ride-ons and just wondered what everyone else would recommend. I have gone for trikes with pedals such as the Weplay trike and taxi trike that holds 2 people. I just wondered would it be wise to go for a child's bike with stabilisers?

I would definitely avoid trikes that seat one child, as I always ask myself "what are they actually learning?" Many children can ride these trikes and then just bomb round on them without any extension of skills. I prefer the 2 seaters that require negotiation and social skills. I also like scooter since they are very good for physical development. If I had money for wheeled toys i would also buy a bike with stabilisers and also look at those bikes that don't have any peddles, for balance and leg strength, they are usually wooden ones.

Guest terrydoo73

Most of my children are just turned 3 and are used to little ride-ons that you move only with your feet???

I am never quite sure whether I like ride-on toys or not. I think it depends how they are to be used. Unless you have a huge dedicated space, I would avoid anything that can go faster than 2 miles an hour, unless you want broken ankles. This would probably exclude the bike with stabilisers idea.

We have only a limited number of ride-ons, having gradually whittled them down. They still cause a lot of arguements and distract some children from playing other games, because they would rather stand and wait their turn on the vehicle of choice. This does have the up side of teaching them about timers, as we use a sand timer to time 'goes', usually at their instigation.

Having said that, some of our best role plays have involved bikes and trundle cars, e.g. car mechanics, car wash etc.

We don't have the ride on toys out every day, as this way this means that the children who are somewhat obsessive, think about other things. We also have them out mainly as part of other play, e.g. so they can be used as Daddy's car, or the police car etc.

If you are going for scooters, I would go for the 3 wheeled variety, as they are slower. Bikes with pedals are great for those who don't get the opportunity to pedal at home. Trundle cars are very popular as role play vehicles. Be careful with the vehicles made for 2 as sometimes, they have the potential to trap the feet of the passenger.

Good luck with your search, and by some ankle protectors for your staff whilst you are at it. :o

I dont know how much you intend to spend or the age you are looking at but I bought Kiddicars from Community Playthings, we have 4 (2 of each size) and i am contemplating getting a couple more as they are so popular especially with the under 2's as seen on this link;

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/produ...toys/index.html

...might help you. :o

Guest terrydoo73

Thanks for your replies - something to definately think about! We are only contemplating these ride-ons as an extension to our outside play area. We have no problems with our children during outside play - they have no problem initiating play by themselves and we are intending just to give something else that can be brought out say a couple of days a week and only for a limited time during our normal outdoor play time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)