Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Area For Boys

Hi

I am trying to get my head in school mode and thinking about my role play area. Normally i begin with a home corner and then the children when settled begin to plan and mind map as to what they want it to be. However this year I am conscious that most of my children are boys and may not be interested in a traditional role play area, although i want something to settle everyone in that needs little maintenence while we settle loads of new children in.

would appreciate any ideas/successes in the past.

thank you in advance.

i tend to find putting in some technology helps a bit...mobile phones /computer/games machines! (or pretend ones) and a pretend television...you could even make one with pictures on a roll that could be changed with the turn of a handle ! lots of scope for wct there!! :o

i tend to find putting in some technology helps a bit...mobile phones /computer/games machines! (or pretend ones) and a pretend television...you could even make one with pictures on a roll that could be changed with the turn of a handle ! lots of scope for wct there!! :o

I'm liking that thank you xD

if space allows there should always be a traditional role play area available as chilren see this as an extension from home - then depending on the childrens interests another area can be set up as 'nail bar' (very popular), garage etc :o

I have a lot of boys and have had for the past 3-4 years, we still set up a home corner they syill use this especially the very young ones when they first start but i also add large cardboard boxes these are often outside but the children can move them in or out. Nothing stays where i set it up, i am all for children being able to move items whee their play takes them

also very popular this year were some den making kits, these consisted of material, strong pegs, wind up torches and lanterns in a duffle bag very portable and very popular

Hi,Suer,

Would like to meet you we have similar ideas and similar nurseries.

We set up a role play area I like keeping the home corner and adding on another facet. Card board boxes empty cups and lots of imagination

hi, I too have a lot of boys at the moment and have found that adding real utensils and crockery to my home corner has helped encourage them to use this area. They have enjoyed using full size whisks, tin openers, frying pans, teapots, masher etc. I have also rung the changes by adding real fruit and veg so that they have been able to act as real chefs/home makers or a box of real tools so that they can be plumbers or kitchen fitters. I have also added superhero props such as cloaks and capes in the washing basket, faux Ben10 omnitrix, Dr Who sonic screwdrivers and spiderman web blasters in with the usual utensils and home made superhero food packages such as sportacus healthy snacks in the roleplay shop. By adding compartmentalised dinner trays, computer keyboards, uniforms, clipboards and pencils, maps, the role play area very quickly becomes the cockpit of a jet plane, spaceship, submarine etc. Hope this helps xx :o

Love these ideas! I did my dissertation last year and focused on how the role play area could be used to motivate boys to write in their play. One of the issues was ways of attracting boys to the role play in the first place but my findings were summed up in three main key points - all of which I think are probably relevant to the whole of the EYFS and girls as well -

o Observation - to see what the boys are interesed in.

o Resources - such as those that have been mentioned in this thread.

o Purpose - why bother playing and indeed writing if there is no purpose?

I will be trying some of these ideas in my role play area!

Hannah

Hey Hi Twinkle

where are you? I love meeting with like minded people its great to share and network

I do tend to say what i think (not always a great idea)

also must re read what i read as lots of typo errors which cant all be accounted for by red wine!!

We return VERY boy heavy, most loving outisde so as people have already stated we provide similar also include lots of walks/climbing trees and explkoration of the woods around us. They just love it.

Honeybee

Just love your note Purpose - why bother playing and indeed writing if there is no purpose? I am going to use that with my staff, I am totally in agreement in getting children mark making but like you say 'For A Purpose' We never write or mark without purpose as adults!

If there a purpose I believe the enjoyment and development will then come naturally. Just my feelings

Sue

Hi

I am trying to get my head in school mode and thinking about my role play area. Normally i begin with a home corner and then the children when settled begin to plan and mind map as to what they want it to be. However this year I am conscious that most of my children are boys and may not be interested in a traditional role play area, although i want something to settle everyone in that needs little maintenence while we settle loads of new children in.

would appreciate any ideas/successes in the past.

thank you in advance.

Hi I only have boys ,but i still have the home corner and they enjoy to play with it. they like to prtetend to play as restaurant and you can expand this by having nenus,asking them to make their own menus,speaking about their favorite foods,healthy food, gardening.etc.. you will see how much they will be interest and curious to learn more.Also they like to play with cardboxes last week i took 3 boxes of diferent sizes and all of them where very excited to do someting with them by asking me if they could painting them, make a house,a car and an airoplane and every day they play with it making turns,conversations ,sharing ideas and it has been very nice to see them going well togheter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)