Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Theorists

currycraver

Hi folks, bad news, I failed one of my assignments in year one. I am now having to rewrite it. Am really upset which is not helping me kepp a clear head. I have been trying to find a link for the theorist who said that children are empty vessels. I am going round in circles. Is there any of you clever people who can suggest a link before i go completely mad. Many thanks in advance :o

Here is the quote:

Piaget's continued interactions with young children became part of his life-long research. After reading about a child who thought that the sun and moon followed him wherever he went, Piaget wanted to find out if all young children had a similar belief. He found that many did indeed believe this. Piaget went on to explore children's countless "why" questions, such as, "Why is the sun round?" or "Why is grass green?" He concluded that children do not think like adults. Their thought processes have their own distinct order and special logic. Children are not "empty vessels to be filled with knowledge" (as traditional pedagogical theory had it). They are "active builders of knowledge-little scientists who construct their own theories of the world."

Here is the quote:

Piaget's continued interactions with young children became part of his life-long research. After reading about a child who thought that the sun and moon followed him wherever he went, Piaget wanted to find out if all young children had a similar belief. He found that many did indeed believe this. Piaget went on to explore children's countless "why" questions, such as, "Why is the sun round?" or "Why is grass green?" He concluded that children do not think like adults. Their thought processes have their own distinct order and special logic. Children are not "empty vessels to be filled with knowledge" (as traditional pedagogical theory had it). They are "active builders of knowledge-little scientists who construct their own theories of the world."

Thank you so much Scarletteangel. I did find that quote before but felt that the quote said that he did not feel children were empty vessels. I thought someone like Bruner or skinner said about empty vessels but cannot find it anywhere. Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me. x

Isn't it the behaviourists who believe that children are empty vessels to be filled by the teacher (environment) with the child as a passive recipient?

Maybe Skinner or Watson?

Will try to get my thinking cap on.

Hi folks, bad news, I failed one of my assignments in year one. I am now having to rewrite it. Am really upset which is not helping me kepp a clear head. I have been trying to find a link for the theorist who said that children are empty vessels. I am going round in circles. Is there any of you clever people who can suggest a link before i go completely mad. Many thanks in advance :o

Hi. Im on theorists at the moment.

I found that this link is helping me with theorists.

http://psychology.about.com/od/profilesofm...rs/p/piaget.htm

Lisa

i

The empty vessel is the Empiricist view as opposed to the Nativist view that children come with innate knowledge and skills.

Try looking up Tabula Rasa which means blank slate and is a different way of saying the same thing.

John Locke is the first person who held the Empiricist view that springs to mind so try Googling him.

Hope that helps.

Sorry it's brief - I will try to find some more later if you pm me as I've some books I can trawl through here if it helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)