Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Heuristic Play Session

Ok ladies....................need some help please! I am planning a heuristic play session for my 2-4 year olds. I thought about having either blocks ( we have lots of lovely cp ones, both the ordinary sized ones, plus hollow blocks and the mini ones. This will provide for open-ended play......................but is this enough??? Or, I thought about obtaining loads of boxes,lots of different sizes and offering those for a whole session, to see what happens? I suspect that I might get a lot of whoopingand hollering with the boxes,maybe them just being jumped on........or of course it might go really well! Any other ideas, or thoughts on these two ?

I often used to do the one with boxes, all sizes from cereal ones to the biggest I could get which was a huge wardrobe one from a local removal firm I asked . They gave me the boxes they were about to scrap as they were not suitable for another move..

It was good most of the time but needed a lot of adult input to stop the jumping on and destroy at the beginning... we supplied a table of other bits to use. paint crayons pens etc and glue and once they got the idea we ended up with some marvellous creations which were played with for days...it was the huge pirate ship that sticks in my mind.. along with a bus of lots of boxes one after the other...

and the jump on came the day we had to remove /dispose of them.

It did need the control to get going though...

the bricks was one we had a lot of the time anyway as they always had a supply of them in various forms to use together if they wished.

I like that idea - we are planning a junk miodelling activity and have never thought of adapting it in terms of heuristic play (I work with 20-30 month olds).

I might mention this in our next planning meeting - to be hr=eurid=stic play does it have to always be cardboard/paper type on=bjects - what about yogurt pots?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)