Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Policy Help

I am ask for your help really to see if your LA has a specific policy on adoption leave and adoption pay for teachers.

To cut a very long story short, my husband and I are going through the adoption process and I have discovered that my LA (Derby City) doesn't have a specific policy for teachers. This means I will have to plead with my governors for similar adoption pay as someone on maternity leave.

As you can imagine I am not very happy about this because I feel discriminated against.

I want to challenge my LA about this and would like to write down the amount of LA's which have a specific policy to strengthen my case.

I would be most grateful if anyone could let me know if there LA has a policy in place and the LA name.

Thank you

Verity

Hi there verityn.

You might have already looked but there is statutory adoption leave if you qualify, guidance is here

I know my friend who lives in Birmingham and is a teacher got the full leave entitlement even though she was adopting an older child. This was a few years ago, but I doubt it will have changed that much.

Good luck with the adoption, its an exciting (and nerve wracking) time for you

Have you thought about asking your union for guidance- nationally they would be a good place to start in helping you discover what other L.A's may have a policy - just a thought. Best of luck and I hope you manage to get what you and your family are entitled to :o

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have spoken to my union and they have advised me to ask the school governors, which i intend to do. But me being me isn't happy with that and want the LA to do something about it. So in the future its all in black and white.

Verity

As your entitlement is statutory then surely locally the LA cannot deny you this leave as i'm sure it is covered by equality legislation. If you are adopting then whoever you have arranged the adoption with should be able to provide you with the information about adoption leave. Have you contacted your LA HR Department as they should have met this situation before and be able to advise you how to apply for it. You could also have a look on the ACAS website for advice.

Here we are

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1828

Also

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1637

You could of course print these out and show them to you HT. :o

Your LA has quite a lot on its website around adoption, and also a section in their employee handbook on adoption leave. Whilst it is from 2003 the law hasn't changed in this respect as far as I am aware.

I hope you manage to get this sorted out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Jacquie L for your response.

I know I am entitled to statutory adoption leave and pay. Its the fact that my LA doesn't provide occupational adoption leave pay to teachers but does for other council employees.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)