Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Pay Question?

We've never had a pregnant staff member while I have been in charge so this is all new to me. A staff member is pregnant with twins due in december, she is finishing work at the end of september and won't be returning (her choice).

She earns no more than £72 a week so do we pay her smp does anyone know? I have looked on here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/e15.pdf and totally confused myself but on page 8 of the linked booklet it says to qualify she has to earn on average £102 per week??

Can anyone give me any ideas please?? :oxD:(

checking the site the answer would be no

But you only have to pay them SMP if they meet certain conditions.

They must have:

worked for you continuously - full or part-time - for at least 26 weeks up to and into the 15th week before the week the baby's due

average earnings at least equal to the Lower Earnings Limit for NICs - £102 a week or £442 a month for 2011-12

given you the right paperwork confirming the pregnancy and sufficient notice of when they would like the SMP payments to start

taken from this page under SMP eligibility and rates - overview.

If they dont qualify you give them form SMP1 found here completed to state why they are not eligible..

been a while but I had to use it a couple of times.. so knew where to look..

checking the site the answer would be no

But you only have to pay them SMP if they meet certain conditions.

They must have:

worked for you continuously - full or part-time - for at least 26 weeks up to and into the 15th week before the week the baby's due

average earnings at least equal to the Lower Earnings Limit for NICs - £102 a week or £442 a month for 2011-12

given you the right paperwork confirming the pregnancy and sufficient notice of when they would like the SMP payments to start

taken from this page under SMP eligibility and rates - overview.

If they dont qualify you give them form SMP1 found here completed to state why they are not eligible..

been a while but I had to use it a couple of times.. so knew where to look..

Thank you :o