Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Reception Class Activity

As it says in the title...I'll be meeting the Nursery little ones next friday who will be starting my Reception class in September. I am racking my brains thinking of some kind of fun but simple activity I can do with each of them. I'll only be spending 4o minutes with them and I don't want to scare them completely with a proper lesson. I'll have various free choice activities out on the tables but I would like a focus activity, possibly creative, so that I can take time to sit with them all and have a chat with them whilst they're doing something, so it's not too daunting.

I did think of making paper plate masks of some sort. Paper plates provided and some collage materials for them to choose? I'd like them to be able to take it away with them to remember their afternoon in the class before they start in september.

Any ideas, muchly appreciated :)

local school provides a paper bag to decorate and they take it home to bring back one item in Sept when they start school a sort of show and tell about the item.. or sometimes could be something to display that they have made at home.. children enjoy it and it makes good links.. they get the paper bag from a cash and carry they have handles on them..

Guest lou73

What about painting/ drawing a picture of themself to display within the class when they start.......sort of 'this is our class'.

lou x

Many thanks for the ideas :) The name badge and painting/picture of themselves I liked but they're all activities planned for their first week of school. Which is a shame really. :o

I'm going to have a mooch on the forum see if I find a nice activity at all.

I was talking to the other Reception class teachers I work with, we were thinking of maybe doing something to represent our colour classes. We are Red, yellow and blue class.

We only got as far as thinking of bumble bees or a sunshine picture with Yellow Class. I am Blue class, now I'm off to look for inspiration xD

We always do an 'art' activity on our second session where the children draw a self portrait and have a go at writing their names. We also take a photo of them. We then get the children who will be year 1 in the class to do the same, only we get them to write a bit more detail about themselves.

It then goes up on display for when they come to school in september, they love it, as do the parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)