Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

After School Club Cancellation Charges-

Scarlettangel

Hi all.

I have been managing an afterschool club as part of the extended school provision at a primary school since September 2008.

I have had a parent query/ argue with us over our cancellation charge and thought I would take the opportunity to ask you what you do when a child does not turn up for a session they are booked into.

This parent is saying that our policy is not clear and not fair.

He maintains he should not be charged when his child is off ill, and that if she is ill he cannot give the required 24 hours notice we ask for when cancelling so charges are not incurred.

I am trying really hard to keep costs down and I ask that 24 hours notice for cancelling places is given or there is a flat £3 charge.

If a child is sent home sick from school we do not charge.

I am unsure whether either of us is actually being unreasonable just seeing things from different angles.

What happens in your club or in the club your child attends if they are off sick from school and do not attend the club?

We have a policy of the first 5 days are not refunded. Pre-schools, nurserys and other school clubs dont refund. We still have to pay the staff, rent and food. This is made clear in our parent handbook and in the admission and fees policy however we always have those that try it on.

It would also make it a nightmare for the committee member responsible for bookings and payments to keep track of giving refunds here there and everywhere.

Think so long as it is clear in your policy then you stick to it.

Hi,

My children go to a before and after school club which is on the school site and run by the school and we have to book and pay for our sessions a month in advance with no refund if children are ill or are invited to a friends house for tea etc even if given several weeks notice. Their argument is that they have to make sure that there are correct staffing ratios and have to pay their staff whether 1 child is absent or not. They also say that for all other kinds of settings eg nurseries, child minders, playgroup that you would book and pay for the sessions and wouldn't be expected to be refunded if a child is ill so therefore they shouldn't be any different. Harsh but fair I think (and my bill is huge with 2 children there daily before and after school)

Deb

So..its now looking likely that the schoo may not open on strike day and the head who we rent room off does not want us to open (another issue)....so now we have hassle of refunding all parents but still having to pay rent and staff so making a loss..not good for a charity!

So..its now looking likely that the schoo may not open on strike day and the head who we rent room off does not want us to open (another issue)....so now we have hassle of refunding all parents but still having to pay rent and staff so making a loss..not good for a charity!

If the school will not rent you the space for the day of the strike then surely they are under an obligation to refund your rent for the day? It is worth asking - after all you are quite prepared to honour your side of the bargain, but it is the school who is effectively saying the venue is not available for that day. Or am I being niaive? :o

I agree with Maz, the building effectively is unavailable to hire and thats not your fault.

We are in a hired building and on the odd occasions such as heating failure or an Election day, Pre-school is not expected to pay, certainly worth a look on your contract or discussion with the head. :o

Yes we are going to ask for a refund if from the school if we are unable to open...taking the treasurere with me if we have to see the head (she stands no nonsense!!) :oxD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)