Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working With Only 1 Member Of Staff In Session ?

sorry - back again (can you tell i've had a meeting this morning ??)

can we run a session (3 hours) with 8 children aged over the age of 3 , with just a playleader (L3) and an unqualified (but CRB'd) commitee member ?

i would not be happy to do this and explained my reasons -and have told the commitee member to contact ofsted to check.

i now need a very, very large drink and a whole box of chocs.......*sob*...............

I could be wrong but I would say absolutely definitely not. I'm sure you can't leave an unqualified person in charge of children? If the level 3 needed to leave the room etc.

Although I could be wrong lol.

Make sure you enjoy that wine :o

nor something i would really want to do, but you may find it legal if she has been a regular volunteer in the setting and hence can be counted in ratio..

I have worked quite legally with an unqualified member of staff with up to 12 children on my own but she had been there for a long time and was very capable, just did not want to do the qualifications.. we could have had up top 16 children with the 2 of us but usually had 3 staff when numbers went over 10.. it was then we had to have the second qualified staff member..

just to check you could email Ofsted for an answer yourself and see if the way you word it has a bearing on the answer... have done that myself and it can depend on how you word it as to how they reply (in the past Maz and I have asked the same thing and got 2 very different answers, that was about ratios and qualifications as well )

I can think of so many reasons why 2 staff are not enough in any setting .. but know the practicalities and cost does not allow this.. we could not afford more than 2 staff when we had less than 10 children.. but the second we could afford the 3rd staff we had them..

nor something i would really want to do, but you may find it legal if she has been a regular volunteer in the setting and hence can be counted in ratio..

I have worked quite legally with an unqualified member of staff with up to 12 children on my own but she had been there for a long time and was very capable, just did not want to do the qualifications.. we could have had up top 16 children with the 2 of us but usually had 3 staff when numbers went over 10.. it was then we had to have the second qualified staff member..

just to check you could email Ofsted for an answer yourself and see if the way you word it has a bearing on the answer... have done that myself and it can depend on how you word it as to how they reply (in the past Maz and I have asked the same thing and got 2 very different answers, that was about ratios and qualifications as well )

I can think of so many reasons why 2 staff are not enough in any setting .. but know the practicalities and cost does not allow this.. we could not afford more than 2 staff when we had less than 10 children.. but the second we could afford the 3rd staff we had them..

many thanks for your reply - i am being asked if a commitee member could basically replace a member of staff on days when we have less than 10 children, none of the committee have any childcare experiance (apart from their own chiildren obviously) none of them have ever been in a session, they have no idea what happens in a session. im just worried that if we can 'legally' operate this way, im not going to be able to run the session safely - what happens with free flow, or if the phone rings, or 1,2,3 nappies or children need changing, if i have to speak to a parent at the beginning or end of the session. i do not think a committee member can replace an experianced staff member in my setting.

i will email ofsted in the morning and see what their response is.

cheers x

If that is the case then I too believe the answer is no ,she would not be able to replace a member of staff .. Ofsted are quite definite that a volunteer cannot be included in ratios unless they have the experience and are regular helpers at the setting..