Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recruitment Help

Hi all

I have to recruit a level 3 practioner for September, however I've not had to do any recruitment for over 2years so....

What's new?

Has anything changed?

anything we used to be able to ask, that we now can't?

anything that we should ask, that we didn't used to?

I used to have to do this every 6 months but we have had a stable team for a few years and this has now rocked the boat, again! :o

Ok having looked at our last application form used are we allowed to ask:

Do you have access to a vehicle?

How many days sickness have you had in the last 12 months?

Are you registered disabled?

Do you consider yourself to have a disability?

I thought I'd read somewhere about not asking certain questions but can't remember where I read it!

Hi

I have removed all those questions about health from our application form. Apparently it may affect your recruitment process. Instead once hired then you can get them to complete a health declaration.

Best of luck recruiting..I have to recruit for maternity leave soon and Im dreading it!

Hi

I have removed all those questions about health from our application form. Apparently it may affect your recruitment process. Instead once hired then you can get them to complete a health declaration.

Best of luck recruiting..I have to recruit for maternity leave soon and Im dreading it!

thanks for the reply Marley,

Reference the health declaration, what happens if you've hired and then find out they aren't fit for the job? or is this part of the probationary period?

Is this an offical health declaration or one you've created yourself?

I'm always aprehensive when it comes to the legalities of recruitment, it's times like these that you wish you worked for a company that has HR depts not a parent committee group!

You can read up some info here about questions you can and cant ask.

I would wonder about the question re access to a vehicle. If this is not relevant to the job, then there is no need to ask it.

Agree about asking about car but could depend on location.. if it is not close or on public transport route could be only way to get there.. if on public transport could affect the hours worked as it could be limited.. we have a local nursery that says must have own transport in all its ads etc.. it is the only way to get there as it is an old converted barn in a field along a country road..

You can read up some info here about questions you can and cant ask.

I would wonder about the question re access to a vehicle. If this is not relevant to the job, then there is no need to ask it.

Yes, we are in a small village which doesn't have a bus route - they would struggle without transport unless they have someone to bring them.

Yes i can see your point Inge, but as someone who doesn't drive, and has battled this requirement (and won!) and who moves many miles in my job, it is up to me to decide how I do that, and if I apply for a job then it means I have considered that, then I cannot be discriminated against because I don't drive. (I could cycle or have a motorbike, or use a taxi, for example). If there is no requirement in the job to drive, then you cannot set it as a criteria for job selection.

You can however state the hours of the job, and you can state the the place of work is remote, but then you should leave it up to the applicant to make the decision about how they would do that if successful.