Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"free Flow; Rhetoric Or Reality?"

Pimms o'clock?

Hello fellow Early Years colleagues

The latest assignment I am working on is based on action reasearch; observing and talking to other practitioners. I am not so sure that what I think we are offering to our children (in two rooms, under two's and 3-rising 5's) as free flow play is truely "freely chosen" between indoors and outdoors. This is because we seem to find plenty of reasons to bring all the children in, to tidy up or for meals are just two examples.

I am visiting three other settings to discuss my question with key staff and also to observe, to see if their offering of free flow play works any better than mine.

I would be really pleased to hear your thoughts about what you offer in your setting, if you think that it is true "free flow", what barriers you meet in trying to provide free flow play and how you have overcome any barriers to improve what is offered to children.

Thanks in anticipation for your reflections on your practice. :oxD

Edited by BMG

Hi free flow in our setting working with 2.5yrs to 5yr olds is doors shut to outside area until all children are in and self-registered and counted, then the doors are open throughout the am or pm session.

Our snack is in key groups which runs throughout the session so we do not close the outdoors area for this.

We do however have a higher than average ratio of staff to children due to our building being rather large.

As we are a packaway setting only when it is tidy up time and coming together for story, circle time is when the doors are then closed.

The only barriers we face are because it is freely chosen to be in or out by the children, is to constantly change ratios to ensure the children are sufficiently supervised at all times in both areas, and the Parish Council not being happy when we have the doors open all the time during the winter months due to loss of heat etc.

But we do strive to achieve it, have a great team, and this really helps.

Hope this maybe useful. :o

Our door is open the whole session we have 2 - 5 year olds. We use rolling snack so that is never a problem, the only time the door is closed is for the last 10 minutes of session when we have circle time before letting the parents in. It can get cold in the winter months, we are trying to find a solution to this!!

Kris

Hi Bridger and Kristina

Thanks for the insight from your settings.

Judging from those I have spoken to so far staffing levels appears to be the biggest difficulty and staff being aware that the numbers of children in one place changes often as the children to and fro.

I spoke to one person who said the hardest bit was if, for example, two staff are outside within ratio and both get engrossed in different activities with some of the children sometimes they don't notice that over half the children have gone inside then they get into trouble with their line manager.

Our door is open the whole session we have 2 - 5 year olds. We use rolling snack so that is never a problem, the only time the door is closed is for the last 10 minutes of session when we have circle time before letting the parents in. It can get cold in the winter months, we are trying to find a solution to this!!

Kris

We bought those 'abattoir curtains' to cover the doorway adn this dramatically cut down heat loss - easy to fit and remove when it gets hotter outside?

The wind whips them up too much for us so we decided they were downright dangerous!

We don't really have freeflow, if children want to go out then we go out, but when there are only 3 staff in it means we're all either in or out, when there's 4 staff we can be a lot more flexible

It looks like ratio's and keeping within the law are improtant issues with free flow indoors/outdoors then. Pre-school are tied to 1:8, 1:4 or even 1;3 depending on the ages of the children where reception classes are governed by the minimum of 1:30 with a teacher, although I guess in reality there would have to be more than one adult present if the doors are open all day Sharon as you couldn't be aware of what is going on in and outside?

Hi Sharon

You must be very busy all day with that many children. Do you have set times say for story, circle times or plenary when all the children are gathered together? Sorry to sound like an inquisitor but I am really interested to know how this works in different settings. Thank you

• 3 months later...

ok just checking!!

Ok our new set up has only been going for a couple of weeks but so far so good!!

we open at 8.30 am and free flow starts when my late member of staff comes in at 9. children are allowed unristricted access to the outdoors until 11 when they are asked to tidy up in their keyworker teams and then they have a short key worker time and then gather together for goodbye song and coats (or to go off to lunch club) same thing in the afternoon (we offer sessional care) So the free flow is available for nearly all the session. Staff split 2 in and 2 out and one float.

we also have free flow snack....

first aid station outside.

staff all have coats and wellies as do the children.

We have also set up the cloakroom next to the access to the outdoors in order that the children can easily sort out their coats and boots themselves.

(any more info you need ?) :o

Hi, my setting has been free flow for the last 10years, our children have access from the beginning of the session, they only come in for tidying and circletime at the end of the session. Coats are hung up outside and we supply waterproofs and wellies. All indoor toys can be taken outside, we have small world/art and craft/ role play/ book corner etc as per the indoor environment. I was relieved and professionally vindicated to see the emphasis on free flow in the EYFS and am dismayed that it does not seem to have the same focus in the consultation document. The only downside of pure free flow is the increase in the amount of stuff that gets scattered from the playroom to the all weather area and into the garden, the end of every working day is spent collecting and returning items to their rightful home!!