Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disillusioned And Fed Up!

Hi everyone,

it's been a while since i was last on here but I need some support :o I have been told to raise my standards in my reception class for reading and writing. Recently I won the award for worlds worst 'worst' observation and my confidence is dented badly. can anyone send me some nice ideas on reading and writing for pirates please? It would cheer me up!!

not so sparkling Suzi! x

How about treasure finding?

You could hide various bits of 'treasure' around the outdoor area and get children to read instructions on where to find them...e.g 'Look behind the tree' etc. I did this with plastic eggs with the instructions hidden inside. The children really enjoyed it.

With regards to writing, how about getting the children to hide their own 'treasure' and write instructions for their friends to find it. It might also help with PSRN: positional language!

Good luck and don't let things get you down too much.....I think we all go through difficult stages, having to think of fantastic activities all of the time doesn't help!

Hi Lorna! Thanks for that but I can't find the pirate theme! Where do i look? x

Hiya again you have to go to the intered box and type "priates" then go to page 6 - its about three links down called "shiver me timbers we are off to sea hunting treasure" it will cost you a fiver to view the document if your not a subscriber ! hope this makes sense ! :) tried to upload the link but not allowed !!

Guest LornaW
Hi Lorna! Thanks for that but I can't find the pirate theme! Where do i look? x

Hi Suzi I only have the magazine if you PM ( personal message) me with an email I can scan the pages for you and send them over to you.

Lorna

Guest lou73

What about using some pirate stories for ideas Captain Yellowbelly is good.....make a pirate packing list of things they need on a sea voyage....and what about the old maps stained with tea to make them look old. Design a ship and label all the parts?

Lou x

So sorry to hear you have had a bad time with an observation. Do the people who have criticised you have any constructive ideas? Management do always seem over interested in achievement in reading and writing rather than anything else.

How about using whiteboards for independent writing? Lots of our children who are not into writing like to use them.

Keep cheerful!

Don't forget the Buried Treasure phonics game on phonicsplay.co.uk. My class love it when the pirate falls in the sea!

You could make up your own game using a real 'treasure chest'/bin and extend it from single words to sentences....e.g. "Does this sentence make sense?" if so put it in the treasure chest, if not in the bin.

Not sure if this idea has been posted anywhere else, it seems there's lots of ideas out there....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)