Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Social And Emotional Development

Hi! First time to comment on here, but I love the Forum, so useful!

I am really struggling for ideas on getting the children achieving SD 6-8 and ED scale points 6-8. Whether its a case of lack of opportunities or just not writing down things children say- they are looking like theyre not able to do what I'm sure they probably can.

Particularly struggle with the 'cultural' and 'beliefs' side of things as I don't work in a very diverse area.

Any ideas much appreciated

Thanks!

Just think of cultures as lifestyles - it doesn't all have to be about diversity from an ethnicity perspective. Socially you are looking for children respecting the different ways they lead their lives and emotionally you are looking for self esteem about their lifestyle, but also empathy for other choices. It could be about how you celebrate a birthday!

Beliefs in a 5 year old world are also not all about religion - you could, for example, believe in the tooth fairy or Father Christmas or Arsenal being your team, whilst someone else doesn't. Again I can have self esteem in my beliefs whilst accepting others are different.

Unpicking what you are actually looking for can help you see it sometimes!!

Cx

ps hello and welcome too!

Edited by catma

Also don't be afraid to give a child a scale point if you know they can do it, whether you have evidence or not. I think the PSED scales are the ones I often have the least evidence as it is just part of who they are as a person and is not always presented as a significant 'wow' moments which are recorded. You don't need evidence for every single point.

I wanted to second what both catma and KST said. When someone pointed out that culture was lifestyle it made it so much easier to assess this point.

Also, I was moderated just over a year ago (about half way through the year) and the moderator queried why my ED scores were significantly lower than those I had for other areas. I said it was because I hadn't got the evidence for it and commented that I found it particularly difficult to find evidence for these points.

At the end of the moderation she said she was happy with all my evidence collection systems but then added that I shouldn't be afraid to trust my own judgement that sometimes we didn't see evidence for something we knew very well they could do and that this applied particularly to the ED and SD scales.

It still means I tend to leave 'ticking' them until right at the end of the year as this is when I know the children best.

Thank you so much all of you who took the time to reply!

And thank you for your comments, that does help me to see things more clearly and the birthdays idea is really good, I bet they all do it differently.

Yes I have been moderated too and they did say don't worry about there not being a hard copy piece of evidence for everything, just depends on you knowing the child.

FAB! Thank you, feeling almost excited for half term to be at an end now!

:o x x

Guest thebirdistheword
Thank you so much all of you who took the time to reply!

And thank you for your comments, that does help me to see things more clearly and the birthdays idea is really good, I bet they all do it differently.

Yes I have been moderated too and they did say don't worry about there not being a hard copy piece of evidence for everything, just depends on you knowing the child.

FAB! Thank you, feeling almost excited for half term to be at an end now!

:o x x

I'm so glad it wasn't just my school that had difficulties with this; all of the examples given are related to ability, race, religion, language, dress and my school is as un-diverse (is that a word? You know what I mean!) as it comes, with most of the children living very similar lifestyles. I was noting things down that we all did e.g. chinese new year making lanterns, cooking noodles, mothers day cards, easter bonnet parades etc but would then remember that it's supposed to be 80% child initiated. I would have sleepless nights wondering how I'm going to incidentally catch 25 children talking amongst themselves about their cultural differences. In the end I think I decided to think more about circle times and how we all do different things at home, see some family members but not others and do different things for birthdays etc. I found it so hard though. I have also done the same, left it until the very end to put ticks in these boxes!! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)