Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Expereinces Of . . . . . . .

Hi - not sure if this is the ciorrect area to be posting this in - so apologies if it should be somewhere else. Does anybody ahve any experiece of children in rec who are still in nappies (due to global development delay / needs)? If so i would be grateful to hear of how you managed this within your setting?

Any advice/comments - gratefully recieved.

Sorry - I'm preschool so can't really help but didn't want to read and run. We did have a child with the same problem who was in them until the summer before he left us for school. It was hard work 'cos he was a big boy too! We persuaded mum to at least put him in pull-ups to make the task easier

Hi, I'm in a totally different situation because my class are mostly year 2 but they are also autistic and one of the common problems with this is toilet training can happen very late (and sometimes never). Anyway, I only have 9 children in my class and we've managed to get all but 2 of them out of nappies so far.

We find it much easier to have them in normal nappies rather than pulls ups because then you can change them without having to take trousers and shoes and socks off. We tend to change them standing up but whichever way is easier for you really.

The ones who we've managed to toilet train all had charts (given to us by the continence nurse but you could easily make your own if a continence nurse isn't available to you). We took them to the toilet regularly- every half hour to start with- and sat them on to try and do something. The charts just showed what they had done (wee/ pooh) whether it was on the toilet or accident in pants and what time they did it. Also if they did pooh in their pants we would take them to the toilet and let them watch as we tipped the pooh in the toilet. We had a new chart each week and pretty quickly patterns started to become obvious so we were able to predict when they were going to wee or pooh and sit them on the toilet in time. Once that was mastered, they started to take themselves or ask us when they needed to go. There were (and still are) lots of cheers and cuddles when they managed to wee or pooh on the toilet!!

I'm not sure how all this would fit in with your class because I assume you have a lot more children and less staff than I have so maybe someone in a similar situation to you might have better advise.

i assume that if she is in mainstream but with these issues that she has some 1-1 assistance? i have supported several children from pre-school (me!) into mainstream who are still not toilet trained - there were long conversations before they started as to how this would be arranged (one little girl needed smaller uniform and wore pull ups )anotherneeded to wear leggings(to look like tights) under her uniform as she was rather obsessed by her bottom at the time :o each child is individual and so its difficult to suggest what to do in your circumstance. Will she ever be trained ? does she have any idea that she needs to go? can she communicate her needs? is she physically able to help pull pants down etc.?is the toilet accessible for her? can time be found in the routine to help her...perhaps at the beginning of breaks/lunch etc? would love to help if i can...if she has a statement then this should be discussed at a TAC meeting...i often find it is the practical issues that cause problems in difficult transitions

We often have a number of children in nappies. We try to have one person responsible for one child usually the key person but it is whoever the child is most comfortable with, and a back up if they are not available. We change them in our disabled toilet because it has most space and now a large changing table. If they are going to be in nappies for the forseeable future it may be worth finding out if there is a changing table available through your county SEN people, changing on the floor is difficult for the adult and not that pleasant for the child but child sized tables are c£1000. Do you have a shower? cos they can be a great asset.

parents provide all the changing materials and spare clothes, we found it is easier if they send in a bag and fill it daily. We used to have a mountain of nappies and wipes and parents could take ages to buy another bag of nappies when the ran out.

It is a good idea to keep a few spares in school in case of bad or forgetful days.

I hope as a reception teacher you have plenty of help because if there is any time with only you in the class that is when the child will need changing. Heads seem to believe it will only happen once or twice a day and take a couple of minutes.

I have attatched a policy and routine plan

Hope this helps16._Nappy_Changing.docToileting___Nappy_changing_plan.doc

Thanks for those responses - have real concerns about our ratio's as the child does not currently have a statement & as such = no support = they are currently in a setting where the ratio is 1=8 & we are 1 teacher =30 (with a TA, so effectively 1=15)!!

Any further experiences which people can share would be welcome xx

Thanks for those responses - have real concerns about our ratio's as the child does not currently have a statement & as such = no support = they are currently in a setting where the ratio is 1=8 & we are 1 teacher =30 (with a TA, so effectively 1=15)!!

Any further experiences which people can share would be welcome xx

your school should be able to support up to 15 hours of care from its sen budget...the child is entitled to this if needed ....talk to the senco and see what can be sorted out. It does depend on how aware this child is of toileting (and how this is going to progress) if she is unlikely to be toilet trained then changing times can be planned with her keycarer(either you or ta) but if she needs to go on demand then support will need to be sorted out.

We have 2 children in reception who were in nappies when they started, one is still in nappies now in this summer term.

Both however did have global delays and as I have said one is now toilet trained but the other little girl is not (though she is trying hard bless her)

The little girl has severe learning needs and as such has one to one every day all day.

The little boy had no one to one support

It is hard work and in our school reception was never set up when built to do changing of children on a daily basis!

The children tend to come into the nursery for changing because the bathroom area there is bigger but it still has to be done on a mat on the floor.

Because of staffing and because school policy states 2 staff have to be with a child when changed, where possible a nursery staff member keeps an eye on the changing from the bathroom door way so that staff member can also see whats going on in nursery!

because of staffing and because school policy states 2 staff have to be with a child when changed, where possible a nursery staff member keeps an eye on the changing from the bathroom door way so that staff member can also see whats going on in nursery!

what happens when a child needs help wiping their bottom...is this the same rule? what happens to the childs right to privacy?(i do realise that these are the school rules not yours ....just have a bit of a problem with this policy!!)

Guest heleng
your school should be able to support up to 15 hours of care from its sen budget...the child is entitled to this if needed ....talk to the senco and see what can be sorted out. It does depend on how aware this child is of toileting (and how this is going to progress) if she is unlikely to be toilet trained then changing times can be planned with her keycarer(either you or ta) but if she needs to go on demand then support will need to be sorted out.

Not sure how you think this is going to happen. If this happens in your school you are very lucky.

Our SEN budget is allocated to each class based on the needs of the children at the beginning of the year in terms of LSA support and then we have to just manage, the whole SEN budget is spent/allocated and there is very little 'wiggle' room for children who join mid year or any other circumstances.

just have a bit of a problem with this policy!!)

Me too! Although I hear it referred to often, I always said that if anyone ever told me I had to do it I would give it all up and go home. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)