Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preschool Or Nursery?

We have had our just funded children all day this year for the first time (we have always just had last year children stay all day) dont get me wrong we have adapted but omg how it has changed the whole dynamics of the group! :o Staff find themselves most of the session either changing nappies or consoling extremely tired children who really cant understand why mummy hasnt picked them up yet!! We even have some on extended hours and staff report where as the older will happily sit and chat and play a board game or go to the library or shops to buy next days snack these poor loves dont want that!

The afternoons for our older children were always alot more structured with small groups and lots of opps for key persons to plan meaningful (to the child) activiities etc aswell as our special time in reception getting used to the environment and teachers etc The younger children are just not ready for this structure and large grouptime understandably xD SO ... I put it to the committee the other night and we basically are going BACK to PRE-SCHOOL status and only having those newly funded 3 year olds

in the mornings along side the 'older last year' children but not all day!

So it got me thinking I know a preschool nearby has recently added Nursery to the end of their Preschool name how does everyone else define Preschool? and then Nursery?

Edited by Andreamay

We have had our just funded children all day this year for the first time (we have always just had last year children stay all day) dont get me wrong we have adapted but omg how it has changed the whole dynamics of the group! :o Staff find themselves most of the session either changing nappies or consoling extremely tired children who really cant understand why mummy hasnt picked them up yet!! We even have some on extended hours and staff report where as the older will happily sit and chat and play a board game or go to the library or shops to buy next days snack these poor loves dont want that!

The afternoons for our older children were always alot more structured with small groups and lots of opps for key persons to plan meaningful (to the child) activiities etc aswell as our special time in reception getting used to the environment and teachers etc The younger children are just not ready for this structure and large grouptime understandably xD SO ... I put it to the committee the other night and we basically are going BACK to PRE-SCHOOL status and only having those newly funded 3 year olds

in the mornings along side the 'older last year' children but not all day!

So it got me thinking I know a preschool nearby has recently added Nursery to the end of their Preschool name how does everyone else define Preschool? and then Nursery?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why are they there all day? Do you mean all day every day? Is that their choice as you offer daycare? If its their 15 hours they can have that in any combination. If they are there through parental choice because that is what you offer then that obviously has practiceand provision implications. My personal reading of pre-school is sessional, whereas nursery has a full time day care option, or school based provision(which still is usually half day). If you have a lot of families opting for daycare because you offer it they will do so for a reason and you may lose them if you return to sessional.

we went full day form sessional when EYFS kicked in and we could, it worked well.. but you have to change the structure of the day for it to work well...

we never had afternoons for the older ones or anything similar, but had the children from 3 at what sessions the parents wanted or where we could offer places... we did 2 sessions a day with lunch club so changing to full day was actually a relief as we did not have the 15 mins midday to ensure we had no children and parents could choose when to send the children for their 15 hours..

we felt it was a case of changing the setting to fit with the children we had each day and it worked well for us...

we were called preschool playgroup so not nursery.. and kept the name.. no reason to change just because our hours had and it did imply we did not take babies or younger age group which is what we felt nursery did.

but we did only take from 3yrs... our choice, for reasons stated.. nappies and not having 'proper' facilities just a toilet floor... and we were usually full anyway so no need for the younger ones.

I always felt nursery was usually used if they took babies up and all day... but do know some changed when they took children all day.. or under3s .. think it is all a name confusion for poor parents... we often had calls asking if we took 18 month olds... just because our hours were all day with an OSC tagged on some stayed until 6pm..

I don't think there is an accepted definition of the two terms. I ran a nursery that was open for four hours in the morning only: I just preferred to call it "nursery" rather than "pre-school" because I felt that I didn't want the emphasis on "getting ready for school" but wanted to recognise the 2-4 age-group as an important period all of its own! Just a personal preference though :o

what I was trying to say was as our children are coming younger and for longer periods of time (yes we are full day care but 2 sessions in one day) the type of care is changing in that when it was ONLY our 4yr olds stopping all day we were able to have a more structered couple of hours (after lunch club)in the afternoon and yes getting them ready for school!! :o There Ive said it!! xD My concerns are if you know the type of expectations on them in september and have no control or say on the matter than we need to give our children the opportunity to acquire these skills. Please dont shoot me down!!! this is done sensitivly and when the children are ready but in the afternoon as opposed to the morning we have group snack, news time and more focussed activities whcih are planned around the children's individual or group need. I would like to add the comments from school are that our children are more able to listen at grouptime (Reception classes do have them) they are more independent and able to follow instructions and are happy and confident and basically ready to learn!

Yes I understand that we may lose children by restricting their hours until the last year but with the next 3 years fully booked and the same for most of the other pre-schools in the town I am confident we have the luxury of this choice.

thankyou it is most interesting on your definitions

Andrea

I think you also find the definitions change around the part of the country you are in too. Where I work now, pre schools are all sessional, most mornings only, and nurseries are all full day care. In my previous LA, there was less distinction, we had some sessional nurseries and even a couple of full time pre school, plus a few kindergartens for good measure. We also had some places that had no nursery or preschool attached at all, so were just known by the one name.

We are a Pre-School but we do one full day for all ages - we take children from 21/2 and one full day where the afternoon session is just for the 'Rising 5's' those going to school in September.

Children can join this pm session whenever parents want them to. We do a few structured activities, reduce the amount of self selected activities, and during this summer term do a PE session. It all helps them settle easily into school.

Rachel

Just to throw something else in... I'm currently working temporarily through an agency, and I worked in a very large and successful university nursery (outstanding) who take children from 6months to 5, and they have just been 'renamed' calling themselves

'xxxxxxx Early Years Education Centre'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)