Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accreditation Again!

We are due for accreditation inspection in a couple of weeks time,any tips for getting through the day? Any shoulds should not so's? All staff are a bit nervous about saying something wrong. If you have been through the process and survived! please let me know. Tre. :o

We had our assessor visit last october and passed! The assessor was very pleasant but very sharp eyed and experienced and I don't think we could have fooled her by putting on a special show. She commented that we worked well as a team so you may like to emphasise that to your staff. What we did do is make sure we did a variety of activities during the two sessions she observed eg craft project one day and cooking the other and arranged for our dance teacher, who visits once a month, to come while the asssessor was there. Like Ofsted what they actually observe counts for a lot however wonderful your recordkeeping is. Good luck-if your group is worth accreditation the assessor will know even if things don't go perfectly on the day!

We had our assessor visit last october and passed!  The assessor was very pleasant but very sharp eyed and experienced and I don't think we could have fooled her by putting on a special show.  She commented that we worked well as a team so you may like to emphasise that to your staff.  What we did do is make sure we did a variety of activities during the two sessions she observed eg craft project one day and cooking the other and arranged for our dance teacher, who visits once a month, to come while the asssessor was there.  Like Ofsted what they actually observe counts for a lot however wonderful your recordkeeping is.  Good luck-if your group is worth accreditation the assessor will know even if things don't go perfectly on the day!

31816[/snapback]

Thanks for your words of advice. We do work really well as a team and are all great friends, so no worries there! I think we have probably just got to be ourselves and like you said show a variety of activities and craft. We have box modelling the day our assessor comes in using masking tape, glue and string with a variety of boxes and other resources, for inventive models! It's good to get advice from someone who has passed their accreditation and experienced it all. Thanks again. :)

We had ours last october too, again as Deb says its very much like ofsted although because you have it voluntarially it dosnt feel as daunting as the big 'O'. Just be yourselves and get through the day as normally as possibly and you will be fine...good luck.... :D

Good luck Tre,

I'm sure you will do great. Safety issues is a hot topic, but as others have said, be yourselves, enthusiastic and fun. :D

Peggy

I keep been pushed to be accredited but so far have said no. I know all my children are happy, safe and in a stimulating environment and so do my parents and new parents who visit. I have yet to be asked by any parents. It is just another pile of paperwork, which I know we all agree there is too much already.

Even so, I do wish everyone all the best in there inspection visits.

Net x

We had ours last october too, again as Deb says its very much like ofsted although because you have it voluntarially it dosnt feel as daunting as the big 'O'.  Just be yourselves and get through the day as normally as possibly and you will be fine...good luck.... :D

31826[/snapback]

Thanks for Accreditation advice! I'll let you know how we get on! :)

Good luck Tre,

I'm sure you will do great. Safety issues is a hot topic, but as others have said, be yourselves, enthusiastic and fun. :D

Peggy

31839[/snapback]

Thanks for advice! will let you know how we do! :)

I keep been pushed to be accredited but so far have said no. I know all my children are happy, safe and in a stimulating environment and so do my parents and new parents who visit. I have yet to be asked by any parents. It is just another pile of paperwork, which I know we all agree there is too much already.

Even so, I do wish everyone all the best in there inspection visits.

Net x

31914[/snapback]

I totally understand how you feel! We avoided Accreditation for a long time! Our supervisor then suggested that it was the way forward and said that eventually all pre-schools etc. would HAVE to be inspected, just like Ofsted inspections and unfortunatly, I feel she is probably right! Like you we are bogged down with paperwork, the relevant people have lost touch with what really matters! The children's happiness and safety! I feel there is too much pressure! too soon!................... However pre-schools are important for socializing and pleasure, it also helps the children to become independent ,away from parent/carers. I love my job and feel that I do it to my very best abilities and parents are happy and content with our pre-school! Thankyou for your reply, I think that it is great that you have made a stand and have moved away from the Accreditation. x . :)

Tre & Net, I'm with you. We too are holding out. As a sessional pre-school I am already dying under the weight of beaurocracy and paperwork when all I really want to do is work with the children and provide the best I possibly can for them. What's the point of a 'bit of paper' when you can see quality happening for real in our setting? The new Ofsted Inspections will, however, make reference to a QA scheme although its 'recommended' not 'compulsory'. How long can we hold out? I think the Government get more than their pound of flesh out of me and QA will be a step too far for many of us............. after all how much do they expect for £5000 per year and no benefits????????????????

(Sorry - moan over, for the moment....... bad day!)

LJW - you can moan as much as you like !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm right with you on this one !!!!!!!! How many of us are sitting here tonight, working unpaid, just to try and keep ourselves up together with the paperwork?

I'm going away on Friday, but can't get ready for that until the Pre-school work is done. If anyone was to suggest right now, that I might like to do the Accreditation, well ............ :( :wacko: xD - they might have preferred to have kept quiet!!!!!!!!!

:oxD:(:(

p.s. but just so glad that I'm not alone in my views!

p.p.s - if I'm going to do anything then it will be the Foundation degree

LJW - you can moan as much as you like !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm right with you on this one !!!!!!!! How many of us are sitting here tonight, working unpaid, just to try and keep ourselves up together with the paperwork?

I'm going away on Friday, but can't get ready for that until the Pre-school work is done. If anyone was to suggest right now, that I might like to do the Accreditation, well ............  :(  :wacko:  xD - they might have preferred to have kept quiet!!!!!!!!!

:o  xD  :(  :(

p.s. but just so glad that I'm not alone in my views!

p.p.s - if I'm going to do anything then it will be the Foundation degree

32073[/snapback]

I,m going away as well but with no worries about paperwork!!

My worry at the moment is will our buyers buy our house ??I am so stressed!

It is much more worrying than playgroup!!

Oldtimer, leave your worries until your return, just relax, de-stress and enjoy yourself, :DxD:) moving is the hard work :o

Peggy

32080[/snapback]

Well I see lots of you needed to get paperwork off your chest!! and yes...... we have just planned for the next half-term. Two nights it took us , also we had a first aid course on Tuesday evening, we have a commitee meeting on Monday night , we have the Accreditation Tuesday and all of this is unpaid. I have an A4 sheet that is just my check list of all the things I have to do during the holidays, I'm one of the lucky ones I get paid extra , for writing up plans a.m. and p.m for seven weeks, key activity planners, name labels for letters. I also do all the Agendas and minutes for every meeting we have!and thats not to mention the keyworking I do for 13 children! copying up notes and eventually writing yearly reports. I get paid an extra 6 hours worth of pay for this! (lucky me!) and it takes me at least three times as long as that. I don't blame the committee for this we are a charity after all and it's not their fault the moneys not there for our wages!

P.S. I love my job! The committee are grateful, appreciative and complimenting for all we do.... but where will the paperwork end? :o

I've just put out a survey to the parents based exactly on one of the modules in our scheme. It's cut down on what I have to do for evidence and they are far better placed to answer questions like 'are parents made to feel welcome' than I am. I would hope so but only they know, and how would I prove it anyway. Our chair, made a comment on her survey, that 'the children should do PE to help agility and working in teams for when they do it at school'. :( I read it and wished I could resign twice. The response to the survey directs all interested parties to view the palnning folder. :o

Tre, I'm gald you have a committee who value what you do, they are a rare and beautiful thing.

As for paperwork - At the moment I'm spending around 10 out of my 15 hours doing paperwork for this scheme, lots of child adult interaction there then!! xD

What a comment from your chair! :o

When I did a parents' questionnaire, I listed all the parents' comments (anonymously) and answered them, giving a copy of the whole thing to every family. That way, you can show your chair what a daft comment it was! I can't believe the bit about teams :D

I'll be doing that Helen, I will also attach a parent help rota as a reminder that they can come in and see first hand what we do. :(

Last years survey included comments such as 'it would be nice if the children could talk in front of each other', how about songs and ryhmes at mat time' and 'can you teach them how to write their name'. Yes, right after we've sung some songs and told our news and they have developed the necessary skills to hold a pencil. :o

Steve, this is where a smiley pulling it's hair out would be handy xD

I've just put out a survey to the parents based exactly on one of the modules in our scheme. It's cut down on what I have to do for evidence and they are far better placed to answer questions like 'are parents made to feel welcome' than I am. I would hope so but only they know, and how would I prove it anyway. Our chair, made a comment on her survey, that 'the children should do PE to help agility and working in teams for when they do it at school'.  :( I read it and wished I could resign twice.  The response to the survey directs all interested parties to view the palnning folder.  :o

Tre, I'm gald you have a committee who value what you do, they are a rare and beautiful thing.

As for paperwork - At the moment I'm spending around 10 out of my 15 hours doing paperwork for this scheme, lots of child adult interaction there then!!  xD

32378[/snapback]

Hi. I feel for you Rea, I do! However after my worries about the accreditation have today been relieved, as we had our inspection today and all went well! the inspector said that she is more than happy to recommend us for accreditation, all that hard work has suddenly paid off! Also you are right we are lucky to have such a fantastic committee!, but of course we have the A.G.M soon and it could mean all change. It may be a different story then.

Sometimes parents make you cross, :( but remember you can't please all of the people all of the time. x :)

Well done Tre, what a wonderfull feeling that must be. I discovered last night that the scheme we're doing is reassesed every two years. I chose the right time to leave I think :o

Fantastic Trea, well done to you and all your team, :D:D

Now all you have to do is work out how to celebrate your achievement :o

Peggy

Fantastic Trea, well done to you and all your team,  :D  :D

Now all you have to do is work out how to celebrate your achievement  :o

Peggy

32553[/snapback]

Thankyou all for your congratulations. we are all thrilled but very tired! It's been a very busy few weeks. We will deffinatley be celebrating! :D

Well done! It's good to hear that the hard work is worth it. You muct be very relieved :)  :)  :)

Carolyn

32497[/snapback]

:D:D .Thankyou!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)