Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Temporary Staff

Hi All

We have just received extra funding for a child with additional needs (taken 18 months!), I am looking to implement 1:1 support for the child. Although we are a private Pre-School we are based within school grounds and one of the TA's whose contract is finishing would be ideal as she has plenty of experience and qualifications. So my question is this will obviously be a temporary contract, the child in question is entitled to move onto school in September but both mum and school want to make sure statement is in place first so the ta could be with us until end of summer term or until Christmas and then move with child into reception. Don't know where to start with contract, working out pay, do I pay her in August even if she finish's in July, how do I sort out the holiday pay. So many questions especially as it may only be for 6 weeks!! At the moment my staff like their salary and holiday pay divided into 12 monthly payments (their request) but I don't think that would work for this position.

Help!!

Kris

Hi All

We have just received extra funding for a child with additional needs (taken 18 months!), I am looking to implement 1:1 support for the child. Although we are a private Pre-School we are based within school grounds and one of the TA's whose contract is finishing would be ideal as she has plenty of experience and qualifications. So my question is this will obviously be a temporary contract, the child in question is entitled to move onto school in September but both mum and school want to make sure statement is in place first so the ta could be with us until end of summer term or until Christmas and then move with child into reception. Don't know where to start with contract, working out pay, do I pay her in August even if she finish's in July, how do I sort out the holiday pay. So many questions especially as it may only be for 6 weeks!! At the moment my staff like their salary and holiday pay divided into 12 monthly payments (their request) but I don't think that would work for this position.

Help!!

Kris

You need to pay her the rate of pay given to you for the cover.. on a short term contract for the number of weeks and she should be paid just for the hours she does plus some holiday pay for those hours.. If she is not looking after the child in August why would she be paid for the time?

The pay will not be what she is used to but as it is what you are being paid for the cover it is what she should be earning... this will still not cover any holiday pay.. we always ended up having to pay that out of our funds.. no payment ever covers it! I would pay either weekly or monthly for the hours worked..

Holiday pay for Casual workers

If a member of staff works on a casual basis or very irregular hours, it is often easiest to calculate holiday entitlement that accrues as hours are worked.

The holiday entitlement of 5.6 weeks is equivalent to 12.07 per cent of hours worked over a year.

The 12.07 per cent figure is 5.6 weeks' holiday, divided by 46.4 weeks (being 52 weeks - 5.6 weeks). The 5.6 weeks are excluded from the calculation as the worker would not be at work during those 5.6 weeks.

So if someone works 10 hours, they are entitled to 72.6 minutes paid holiday (12.07 ÷ 100 x 10= 1.21 hours = 72.63 minutes).

Clear as mud!

Hi Inge

Thank you for the reply, holiday pay always manages to confuse me if she is only with us 6 weeks it's going to mean an awful lot of paperwork not to mention P45's etc!!

Have to say the extra money doesn't even cover minimum wage so have had to add a bit extra in!!

Kris

Sounds about right.. ours just covered the wage..

A to P45 etc if it is her only job and she is only working a few hours a week, you may not have any worries... unlikely she will be earning enough to pay NIns or tax but you may end up having to pay back any tax to her she has already paid this year as she may have overpaid...

yes always a lot of paperwork for just a few weeks... especially as you will also have to do all the usual employment checks.. references and CRB checks etc...

must admit when it was for a short space of time I was usually able to offer extra hours to a current member of staff for the few weeks... saved a lot of hassle.. and someone was usually happy to take the extra hours.

Can't offer it to another member of staff unless I want to loose them to the school when the child moves on!! The idea is that this person will accompany the child into reception once the statement is in place. And she does already work 15 hours a week at the school so unfortunatly there will be tax, national insurance etc. Oh well suppose I'd better get on with it then!! :o

Kris