Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spider Maths

Hi I'm in nursery and my mind has gone blank- yet again. We've go such a mix of ages from 3 -4 as we take them on their 3rd birthday with no cut off so I need an easy to manage yet impressive lesson on maths but linked to spiders. Any suggestions, my thoughts were rolling a dice (2 for more able) and placing that number of spiders on the web. Any other ideas?

Or adding legs to a spider body - i.e. number stories of 8.

LA - can you find 8 legs to put on the spider? Counting and tallying to 8

HA - this spider only has 4 legs, how many more does he need? Early addition and counting

I have played some great games with chldren based on spiders.

I got some round coasters from Ikea, put some big googly eyes on, and got a stack of pegs.

One version is to turn over a sand timer and see who is the fastest to put 8 pegs around the outside of the coaster to represent legs. Another is to roll a dice and the child has to put the corresponding number of peg legs onto their spider's body, the first to get all 8 on is the winner.

Even better if you get them to make their own spider's body on before hand - they could draw faces on them and everything! Sorry. Little carried away there!

Its not exactly impressive, but it might fill a few minutes of your lesson! Good luck!

Guest lou73

What about making some large drain pipes from card and making a game with a dice of spinner....moving up the drain, when you hit a rain cloud or something you get washed out.....Get children to compare how many spaces they have moved, numbers rolled, who is in first posistion, second, third etc

lou X

Ours love it too, we also have another one, which is felt spiders on elastic and on the floor you put card spiders which have a velcro spot on them, the children pick up the spider on the floor with the felt one on elastic, turn it over and there is a number score. We tend to play this one in the garden - don't know why!!!

Maz I do love the simplicity of your peg game. We do something similar I suppose, but with a Roses chocolate tin and pegs, the children roll the die/dice and depending upon how many the score add a peg to the top of the tin.

Ours love it too, we also have another one, which is felt spiders on elastic and on the floor you put card spiders which have a velcro spot on them, the children pick up the spider on the floor with the felt one on elastic, turn it over and there is a number score.

We have a couple of those!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)