Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's That Time Again!

Tomorrow they discover the classes at school and find out that their children will be split into two classes and we might have suggested they go with what we really think is best for the children and not the parents!

Last year is the first time I decided about our children for the school, and it is the first time that nobody got upset about it! Can I pull it off again this year? I hope so because we are going to the meeting this year and I might get shouted at if someone is not happy!!!

I'm not sure we can stretch to bodyguards.....

Well, I wish you every luck for tomorrow - it is an incredibly anxious time for parents when they find out their child's class teacher for next year, as you well know. Tensions can run high, as no doubt you've already experienced.

I'm interested to know how you have reached your decisions about individual/groups of children, and whether you will engage with parents about why you have made the decisions you have if you are cornered!?

Good luck - please let us know tomorrow how you get on!

I'm not really worried because it does work when I do it, it just didn't when the school decided themselves. Historically people have got VERY hysterical about it but usually because they were not going to get to stand outside the classroom with their friends, not because the children wouldn't be fine. One year we had a childminder screaming profanities about the school outside the playgroup the next day and we had to ask her to leave.

Really I'm worried because I want them all to be happy because I have worked quite hard to make sure they are. The only other problem is that one of the teachers is leaving and they are announcing it at the meeting.

Sometimes we parents lose sight of what is important, especially when we find change so challenging! It sounds to me as if you're confident that you've made the right decisions for the right decisions, so hopefully parents should recognise this and respect you for it. It is tricky announcing that a teacher is leaving especially if s/he is popular and parents are likely to be unhappy.

I don't envy you this particular responsibility! :o

Also the teacher replacing the leaving one is not a Reception teacher, although she is lovely. I am just worried that they may see it as the class with the "good" teacher and then the one that the school doesn't care about so much which is certainly not true but i can't address that until tomorrow because it is a secret until then and not for me to let out of the bag.

One year we had a childminder screaming profanities about the school outside the playgroup the next day and we had to ask her to leave.

Goodness!!! You would have thought that as you had been working together to support your shared children she would have well understood what was happening with the children before it came to that.

Honey

Hope it went well - just thought I'd add that last year I recommended that twins were split when they transfered to Reception as it was important for the less dominant child to be able to make their own friends (which their twin didn't allow). The reception staff were hesitant and I did explain it to mum before the classes were announced, putting it from the child's perspective as the best chance for them both to develop their self-confidence (and also checking she was ok with them being in different classes). It was definitely the right decision as both twins have blossomed whilst still retaining their close relationship

I like it when we know we're right about somethings! - Even when others disagree!