Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Storage/playhouse

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We have just received 2 grants - 1 for £200 and one for £1000. We put in a quote that came to £1800 mainly for a outside playhouse, 6 rideons, waterproof cushions, target throwing net, equipment trolley. Now we have the money we need to decide what to buy! We are thinking of the playhouse and rideons. We would like the playhouse as it would mean shelter on wet and sunny days so we thought a small one would do. We would also like rideons as we dont have any at present and therefore could provide a bit of choice. We could store them in the playhouse but then if we only want the rideons out on certain days that would mean we cannot use the playhouse. What do you think we should do? We are only going to be able to buy 6 rideons and we have 12 children.

You obviously want the playhouse.. or need it not only for storage but outdoor play..

as to the ride ons... not my choice of outdoor toy... as you say you would not want to use them everyday but the children would... we had 3 for 20 children which was more than adequate.. and even then we had them out less and less...

we also had 3 bouncy horses or rody riders which were found to be very versatile.. the children all loved them and they did also use them in a lot of the role play.

I would probably opt for the house and things that can be used in and out with lots of children at the same time...

number of ride ons and number of children does not really matter.. they have to learn to share, take turns, wait etc.

Guest terrydoo73

Our play area is sitting on a slope and we have to date gone for alternatives ie wheelbarrows, dolls pushchairs, tyres, planks, small world play in terms of fire engine, diggers etc, home area such as a barbecue set with cups, plates etc, the sand and water trays as well as a very large Little Tikes climbing frame (tunnel, 2 slides small open house at one end). The children also have a bowling set and a golf set, music by way of pans and saucepans and a little growing area in large pots (we have grown lettuce, onions, sunflowers, violas and sweetpea so far) Now we have this money we have asked for permission to use part of our car park which is a flat area for the purpose of ride-ons only. This has been granted hence the reason for using it one or 2 days a week. I am like you in that they should share but I think we should have say 6 ride-ons and then bring down the push chairs and wheelbarrows setting out a little course with traffic lights etc (which we have). My feeling is to buy the house but what happens on the days we don't want the ride-ons out and yet want to use the playhouse? There is the possibility of matching this grant hence allowing us to have 1 for everyone!

Hello

I decided to use some grant money to have a storage shed built (3mtrs x 2 mtrs). The grant amounted to £1000. However, I was given a verbal quote of £500 for the footings to be dug and at least £300 for the roof - I did not have enough to cover the blocks, the door and the labour to build the shed!

Then I heard about the Community Payback Scheme - offenders given community service orders carry out labour under supervision. In February I applied for the shed to be built (it has to be vandal proof, so a wooden shed is not appropriate), and, within two weeks I had a visit from the officer in charge and it has been arranged that the shed will be built in the summer holiday. Moreover, the officer asked what else his labourers could do, as he needed work for about 6 people. It was agreed that the storage shed would be built, as well as two covered and lockable raised sand pits and a seating area; the officer asked if there were any classrooms that needed to be painted within the school and walls around the playground!

He has done a full risk assessment and provided an estimate which comes to £650.00! So we still have money left over to purchase more outdoor play equipment!!

If you want your cake and eat it - try this scheme. :o

Guest rainyjaney

Was lucky enough to win a wooden balance bike in one of the nursery magazines. This has proved very popular!

Guest terrydoo73

We cannot build anything permanent as we are in temporary accommodation at present - hoping to move to an old school if grants are available!

Since we have created an outdoor area our ride ons are not a problem. Prior to this, we coul donly use them inside and therefore they only came out every few weeks or so. This is what causes problems with children not wanting to share and wanting to stay on them all morning. Do as Suer says and buy both, giving the children access to them all the time, after the initial flurry of I wants, the novelty will start to wear off

We had some Community Play Things hollow bricks at my previous school/nursery which I really miss!! They were brilliant and really allowed the childrens imagination to run wild esp the boys with whom we had some problems when we had the bikes etc out. They just used to run into everything but the blocks meant they could build garages etc and 'work' on the bikes! The blocks were expensive but 7 years on are still going strong and they have been used in all weathers!!

Good luck with the choosing!!

Do you have waterproof dungarees and jackets - these are great for enabling children to play outside in all weathers?

Also we've bought some Didi-cars which are absolutely fabulous - managed to get them for around £35 each (for 3). Plus children can ride on them on their own or with a passenger. Children LOVE them!

http://www.didicar.co.uk/toy-shop/category/didicars

Adults can use them too! One of our breakfast club children didn't think I could ride on one because I was too big. We have a small sloping, winding path - now I know why the children enjoy them so much - it was a blast!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)