Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Me!

OK, my dilema is that during pupil progress meetings i am sitting with my HT discusing how many scale points is 'average progress', how many scale points should we see them attaining to be working above average or making above/below average progress. etc etc.

I am sure this is wrong :o

Can anyone tell me if they have a simple method of showing progress with some sort of value added (if you like) from entry and then per term.

I just can't seem to get my head round this one!

Luckily my head understands that because joanna has gone from 2 to 5 in writing between sep and january and they still have 5 now that that isn't necessarily bad thing but the whole system for this seems ridiculous.

I guess im kind of hoping someone else will have been in this situation and will be able to tell me what they do to record and show progress????

Lucie

Hi Lucie

The EYFSP was never intended to be used to show progress during the year or for target setting, so there is no 'average points progress' in the way there might be with APP. Nor is there an 'expected' score at each term during the year.

I know a lot of schools put pressure on reception teachers to show this numerical progress as they see it as easier to define it in numerical terms. But it isnt what EYFSP was intended for.

It is possible to still show progress using the age bands of the development matters, and I cant explain this in any better way than Kate Cahill does in this article here

Well worth a read.

And Ive just caught sight of this in nursery World, which also explains what the eyfsp should and should not be used for

here

Is that a complete article or would there be more detail in the publication itself?

• 4 weeks later...

I have also been asked to show progress by my headteacher.

The only way I could find to do it was to take an area like CLL, put a column of their September results, and next to it a column of December results. I then have a column next to that showing how many points progress. (I take numbers from eprofile summary scores)

Then I was asked to make a list of children not making enough progress which was considered as 0-3 points in this time scale.

With the idea being I focus on those children more. Followed this up with a December to March table of numbers :o

Tedious to start with, and not particularly the way the EYFS is intended to be used, but can be useful for planning!

Hope this helps xD

my head also likes to see the numbers but understands they are different are LA tells heads that a 'normal' child should make 6 points progress over the year in each area. so at the end of the year a below average children is working on scale points 0-3, average 5/6, above average 8/9 however they could be below average in PSRN but above average in CLL ect..

but a couple of weeks back a school in are early years cluster got a visit from ofted and i have checked this on the ofsted website they say good progress for a child in reception is 3 points! this is because a child should enter reception on scale pont 3 in all areas and leave with 6 scales points in all areas. therefore as im sure is the case for most people if your children come in low in CLL then leave with 6/7 scale points they are seen by ofsted as making excellence progress!

i hope that all makes sense. i keep my head happy by printing off the graph from the eprofile termly and like someone said in a previous post its good for planing as it shows you where your gaps are and where you need to collect more evidence.

Hi emz

Im wondering if there is some confusion between '6 points progress' and '6 points in each scale'? Could you ask your head to check with your LA, exactly what their guidance says, in case it has got misunderstood along the way?

if i explain it like this does it help?

our LA suggests 6 points progress is average. but its done/ looked at for each area of learning individually. you don't add up all points and get a grand total.

so if X got scale points 1-6 in DA, SD and ED they would be average on track but if they got 1-3 DA, 1-6 SD and ED they would be below average for dispositions and atitutdes, so the heads are asked to look at the data for each section of PSED and not overall.

also when writing i struggled with how to put things because after 1-3 you don't have to get the points in order so i couldn't say achieves 1-6 in KUW is average its they have achieved 6 scale points to be average e.g. 1-3, 4, 5, 7

i think i have confused my self now! it would be better if we were not a society of number crnchers as nmbers are not realistic of a childs achievements but oh well!

i have an adviser coming to see me next week once back after half term and i will check with her as now im questioning what i thought/ remebered - maybe i wrote it down wrong.

at least looking at a child point by point is a better picture of their ability and indicate more clearly the gaps in their ability.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)